Sterling Diverter valve problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert K

Reaction score
Replaced Sterling Hot, Cold and Diverter valve with all new valves. All cap thread gaskets, flat rubber seats, were replaced . All worked well,no leaks

When diverter valve is set to shower, tub is off and shower receives all water as designed.
But when diverter is set to tub, water does come from tub faucet, but also some water comes out of shower. Not residual water from prior setting, but a continuing flow from shower.

Will welcome any suggestions.

Thank you,
Robert K.

sterling-three-handle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ebbie

Reaction score
Hello There,

I do not have a suggestion for solution, however I am experiencing an almost identical problem. Replaced Hot, Cold and Diverter valves, seats, etc. When I turn the diverter to tub, the water flows as expected, however when I turn it to shower, water comes out both the shower head and tub spout...

~Ebbie

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is in the top 3 of questions asked.

On a 3 handle shower, there is a second washer or gasket on the middle stem. It is behind the nose. It stops water from going to the spout when shower is selected. Probably that gasket was missing, or damaged somehow during installation.

It is also very important on all 3 of these stems that the stem NOT be turned towards the off direction when you install the stem into the body. It should be turned out to ON ( middle stem turned usually CCW to "shower" position). Otherwise, the stem bottoms out which can cause damage and improper operation, and also leaks.

rupchurch444589

Reaction score
Replaced Sterling Hot, Cold and Diverter valve with all new shower valves. All worked well,no leaks

When cold valve is turned on even with shower diverter on I get mostly cold water. The hot works normal but the cold can only be turned on a trickle or it gets too cold. I tried cutting some pressure off the cold side with the shutoff valve but it made no difference. Have any ideas why the cold side is so dominate?

Thanks Andy U.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks