wax rings

Users who are viewing this thread

bigstevea

Reaction score
it's zokay to stack em' to make contact with the bowl? just need to add 1.:confused:

bigstevea

Reaction score
a new sub floor and vinyl sheeting has now put the closet flange just below (1/4") the new floor surface and 1 ring isn't enough to make contact with the
toilet. what else can i do eh?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Nothing really, unless you trust flange extenders which I don't. If you decide to use them, do NOT use that sealant that comes with it; it's water based and can break down from continual exposure to wastewater, leak.

Setting it on a thin layer of wax is better, squished down and buttered around the edges to prevent structural damage in the event of a leak.

I get calls for situations like yours randomly. I tell people to call someone else if they don't want the correct repair to bring it back to industry standard.

Industry standard can allow the installation of a wax ring to be almost permanent, given no one takes a plunger to the equation when a clog does occur.

Floor guys/handymen/carpenters constantly do not address this issue......causing these problems. Don't forget tile guys either.

bigstevea

Reaction score
i used the flange extender ring...AND i'm the carpenter that put the new sub-floor in (50 yrs.of layers of apartment flooring came out)...AND i'm the plumber that set the toilet back. i just heard it leaks today...from where, i don't know yet...i'll find out tomorrow. i'm assuming it's from the base because of the "no squish" factor from setting the toilet on the new ring. ugh.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks