(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Dielectric union V. Dielectric nipple

Default Dielectric union V. Dielectric nipple

I installed copper pipe to replace galvenized pipe that had breakdown and leaks. A hot water heater was intsalled without a dielectric union. I went to my local plumbing place and asked for dielectric unions for my pipe. I was given dielectric nipples instead. Are they the same? Or should I have installed the unions instead of nipples. The gentleman I spoke to stated that they are interchangeable and that the nipple is easier to install. I agree with the ease of installation, but wonder if I am still endangering my galvenized pipe by using nipples instead of unions. Any input would be appreciated.

I'm not a plumber (actually I'm an electrician), but I can tell you this:
    A union and a nipple are not the same (ok, that was easy).
    In order to prevent the "galvonic reaction"(oxidation) between the dissimilar metals, you need either a di-electric break(plastic washer or some other non-conductive element) or a metal that does not contribute to the galvonic reaction, such as brass.
    What is the nipple made of?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBagadonutz
    What is the nipple made of?

The nipple is made of galvenized pipe and has a rubber/plastic tubing in the center. I used teflon tape on the threads and inserted one end in a female galvenized connection and the other end in a female copper connection. The gentleman I spoke to stated that the water going through the nipple cannot carry a current because of the rubber/plastic insulation inside the nipple. I took him for his word and because the nipple is so much easier to install.

Default di-electric

Since neither is particularly effective, due to the water carrying the current, it does not make a whole lot of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    Since neither is particularly effective, due to the water carrying the current, it does not make a whole lot of difference.
    ...that would explain why the big orange box store was selling the di-electric unions for 0.03.

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

I don't know much, but I know if you install regular galvanized nipples in a water heater instead of those di-electric nipples between the tank and the copper lines, they will corrode MUCH faster.
    Go with the di-electric nipples.
    Mike