3" ABS flexible?

Users who are viewing this thread

cammok5

Reaction score
im acualy building a snorkle for my trucks intake, not realy plubmbing but.. im using 3" abs pipe and i need it do have a bend anout 5* give or take. can you heat up the 3" abs and bend it at all or is there something else i can do? thanks for the help

Construct30

Reaction score
ABS pipe flames at a low temp and can be toxic so you can try, but be very careful.

PVC conduit does bend easier with just a heat gun. I wouldn't use an open flame on PVC or ABS.

Go to stacey davids gearz web site ask there. They will know the situation.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
im acualy building a snorkle for my trucks intake, not realy plubmbing but.. im using 3" abs pipe and i need it do have a bend anout 5* give or take. can you heat up the 3" abs and bend it at all or is there something else i can do? thanks for the help

I haven't tried bending ABS but have bent 2" PVC conduit by heating it.

You can buy flexible PVC which would be my preference for an intake attached to an engine. The vibration and movement of the engine on the flexible mounts is likely to put large forces on a rigid connection.

If your engine needs a snorkle then you must have an intersting task to make the electrical system work under water.

Phil H2

Reaction score
If it is ABS drain pipe, it probably has a foam core. I never tried bending it. But, I suspect that the foam core could cause problems when bending.

Construct30

Reaction score
For a snorkel you need a smooth interior wall and gradual bends to keep restriction at a minimum. The flexable pipes are all corrigated that I have seen, they will not work for his application so don't recommend it unless it is smooth and minimum restriction.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
The flex PVC you'll find used in spas and swimming pools has a smooth inside wall.

cammok5

Reaction score
ya i ned 3". do they make any rubber/silacone "pipes" that would go over the 3" abs so i could just cut the pipe and use the rubber part as my bend?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
ABS should prove very interesting in a high heat application under a hood... Have ya got a fire extiguisher? I would look to an aftermarket parts manufacturer to provide one... It just might be engineered for the application.

cammok5

Reaction score
ive seen a few people use abs under there hood for the same thing im doing. ive also heard t use abs and not pve becouse when pvc burns it has toxic fumes and abs doesnt. i can always use that heat rapping tape on my headers if it melts

btw they dont make any kind of air intake for my 84 ford except them round air filters that sit on the carb. im forced to make my own

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
There has to be a better way to get what you need. I could even see trying to 'build' your part from fiberglass and resin.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
ive also heard t use abs and not pve becouse when pvc burns it has toxic fumes and abs doesnt. i can always use that heat rapping tape on my headers if it melts.

How true except ABS lights up at a lower temperature than PVC. How do you feel about melted plastic draped over the top of your motor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks