(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 3" abs flexable?

Default 3" abs flexable?

im acualy building a snorkle for my trucks intake, not realy plubmbing but.. im using 3" abs pipe and i need it do have a bend anout 5* give or take. can you heat up the 3" abs and bend it at all or is there something else i can do? thanks for the help

ABS pipe flames at a low temp and can be toxic so you can try, but be very careful.

PVC conduit does bend easier with just a heat gun. I wouldn't use an open flame on PVC or ABS.

Go to stacey davids gearz web site ask there. They will know the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by cammok5 View Post
    im acualy building a snorkle for my trucks intake, not realy plubmbing but.. im using 3" abs pipe and i need it do have a bend anout 5* give or take. can you heat up the 3" abs and bend it at all or is there something else i can do? thanks for the help
    I haven't tried bending ABS but have bent 2" PVC conduit by heating it.

You can buy flexible PVC which would be my preference for an intake attached to an engine. The vibration and movement of the engine on the flexible mounts is likely to put large forces on a rigid connection.

If your engine needs a snorkle then you must have an intersting task to make the electrical system work under water.

If it is ABS drain pipe, it probably has a foam core. I never tried bending it. But, I suspect that the foam core could cause problems when bending.

Use the flex pipe, and don't try to bend the ABS

For a snorkel you need a smooth interior wall and gradual bends to keep restriction at a minimum. The flexable pipes are all corrigated that I have seen, they will not work for his application so don't recommend it unless it is smooth and minimum restriction.

The flex PVC you'll find used in spas and swimming pools has a smooth inside wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    The flex PVC you'll find used in spas and swimming pools has a smooth inside wall.
    That stuff could work and you just use PVC glue and fittings with it, but didn't he say he needs 3". The biggest I've seen is 2".

ya i ned 3". do they make any rubber/silacone "pipes" that would go over the 3" abs so i could just cut the pipe and use the rubber part as my bend?

ABS should prove very interesting in a high heat application under a hood... Have ya got a fire extiguisher? I would look to an aftermarket parts manufacturer to provide one... It just might be engineered for the application.

ive seen a few people use abs under there hood for the same thing im doing. ive also heard t use abs and not pve becouse when pvc burns it has toxic fumes and abs doesnt. i can always use that heat rapping tape on my headers if it melts

btw they dont make any kind of air intake for my 84 ford except them round air filters that sit on the carb. im forced to make my own

There has to be a better way to get what you need. I could even see trying to 'build' your part from fiberglass and resin.

Quote Originally Posted by cammok5 View Post
    ive also heard t use abs and not pve becouse when pvc burns it has toxic fumes and abs doesnt. i can always use that heat rapping tape on my headers if it melts.
    How true except ABS lights up at a lower temperature than PVC. How do you feel about melted plastic draped over the top of your motor?

I would go to http://www.gearztv.com/index.php?content=gearheadz and ask them, they do this stuff a lot and will know more than a bunch of plumbers.

Quote Originally Posted by construct30 View Post
    That stuff could work and you just use PVC glue and fittings with it, but didn't he say he needs 3". The biggest I've seen is 2".
    Up to 6".

http://www.flexpvc.com/