installing registers in duct

Users who are viewing this thread

projectorguru

Reaction score
Hey fella's. I'm finishing my basement and am up to installin drywall, and where i boxed out the duct work over head, I have decided to install 2 supply and one return register, not for heat, but air(I have a heat pump). Anyway, I would have no issues if it was metal duct, but its rectangular duct, not metal, I'm guessin fiberglass? Anyway, is there a boot I can buy to go into the main line and it will need to come out about 3 inches then connect to a register(that I can shut on or off). i'im not sure if you just use that tape to connect it or not, any ideas?

projectorguru

Reaction score
so, I bought some duct and slammed it in the hole, and taped the chit out of it, works great, incase anyone else was wondering:D

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Guess none of us were fast enough for you. Hope your solution works out for you. Fresh tape and you should be good for a few years. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the people that contribute work during the day...so, quick answers don't always come.

I'm sure a heating supply house would have what you need, I'm just not sure what it is! I do know that if you used the commonly used fabric tape called duct or duck tape, it will dry out and fail. On metal ducts, the specified tape is actually metal foil with a release paper on the back otherwise you'd end up with a solid mass of unusable foil. The stuff is really sticky. If the fiberglass has a foil coating, this should work well.

projectorguru

Reaction score
Many of the people that contribute work during the day...so, quick answers don't always come.

I'm sure a heating supply house would have what you need, I'm just not sure what it is! I do know that if you used the commonly used fabric tape called duct or duck tape, it will dry out and fail. On metal ducts, the specified tape is actually metal foil with a release paper on the back otherwise you'd end up with a solid mass of unusable foil. The stuff is really sticky. If the fiberglass has a foil coating, this should work well.

I actually built a frame around the hole and used the foil tape and liquid nails and screwed the register to the wood, i showed an HVAC guy this yesterday(friend of my cousins) and he was impressed, he said hes never seen anyone do that b4 but it was a great idea, just not very practical

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That's one of the few advantages we DIYers have over the pros. We can take the time to overengineer our projects, whereas nobody would pay a pro for his time to do the same. I think that's what he meant by not practical.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks