Water In Spurts.... Only When Pressure Switch On Start!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

gswanjr1

Reaction score
Hello.... I have recently had an issue with my well water coming into my home. I noticed that when I opened any of the faucets no water came out:mad:. So I went to the pressure switch and turned it from auto to start and water came rushing in. I would hold it on start until it filled up and the pressure was back to normal and things were fine. Well it would happen again almost minutes later & I would have to do this over and over again. Now & then I would turn it to start and get nothing, but most of the time it filled up with water. I noticed no leaks. But that if I continued to go and turn the pressure switch from auto to start, water normally comes in for as long as I hold start. I went out to the well to measure water levels with a string and weight attached to the bottom. I believe, the well from top of cap to bottom was 21ft (though not 100% sure- I never did it before), and that it was filled up to 10ft with water, and the other 11 ft were empty. I am not sure how far down the pump is... but I really need some help trying to troubleshoot and figure out what to do to get water to my wife and 2 children without getting a plumber I really dont have money for:confused:. But ANY help would be much appreciated :D, and thank you in advance!

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you did need help you wouldn't call a Plumber, you would call a Well Driller or a Pump Repairman.

I think you have a low pressure cut off switch. It is designed to turn the pump off if the pressure gets to a certain point which is usually around 10 lbs less than your cut in pressure. You may have a waterlogged tank or your pump isn't doing as good as it once did. You could put in a standard switch and see if that cures the problem, but remember that switch may have been put there for a reason. Like a poorly performing well.

bob...

gswanjr1

Reaction score
Well Driller or Pump Repairman sounds even more expensive! But if I put a standard pressure switch... could that hurt anything (pump, tank, etc.)? But I have heard from others (here and there) how the wells have not performed well since a near highway was built....? Again, thanks.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Well Driller or Pump Repairman sounds even more expensive!

That reminds me of an old joke:

A man calls a Plumber out to fix his toilet. The Plumber installed a new toilet, gave the man a bill for $1500.00. The guy says "Damn, that's a lot of money to install a toilet, what do you think you are a Doctor charging rates like that?" The guy says "I was a Doctor until I discovered Plumbers made more money."

Changing the Pressure Switch cold damage the pump if the Low Pressure Switch was installed because the well can't keep up with the pump.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks