Replacing old American Standard

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
hot/diverter/cold handles on a tub as well as teh tub spout and shower head.
My question is:

Should I hire a plumber or attempt to do it myself? I am ok with sweating copper but have never done a pressure balance valve. Can I use PEX to do this instead of tearing out the wall? (never worked with the stuff)

If I tear out the wall can I go down into the crawl space,cut off the supply and build the thing up at my work table and then just make the one sweated joint in the crawl space so as to have the space to work on the stuff and do it right?

Finally,I plan on using GROHE. Any thoughts? What is the difference between a 3-port,4-port,3-port with stops,4-port with stops valve?

Thanks.
Alan

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To properly mount a new valve, you will need access inside the wall, either from the front or back side.

Depending on the layout of pipes and studs, it is possible to preassemble some of this, but you still really need to be inside the wall. A good plumber can sometimes replace a valve just working through the hole in the tile or fibreglass. It is very difficult, not a DIY project.

If you use PEX, there is a whole new field of knowledge you need to study up on....fittings, tools. And, remember this: PEX sizes differently than copper, and if you use PEX to install the tub spout, you will be posting back here to ask why water comes out the shower head when taking a bath! We get that question about once a month on a regular basis!

FatDaddy

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I will let the plumber do it this

time. I am ok with tearing out part of the wall since I am going to retile it anyway and will cover it up with Hardi. In a pinch I could also go into the wall from behind but I will let a pro do it. I am not all that comfortable sweating the valve.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
A wise man knows his limits.
I do valve replaces alot and as easy as most of them are, I still remember my first few...not fun sweating copper in tight spaces, then realizing you forgot clearance and unsweating to refit and sweat again...all the while the water is down till it's done.

FatDaddy

Reaction score
I forgot the other part of the question--what is the

difference in these valves : Grohe pressure balance
3-port
3-port with stops
4-port
4-port with stops

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks