Briggs Vacuity toilet review and comments. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports

Users who are viewing this thread

harringg

Reaction score
Briggs 4400

Have a Briggs 4400 Vacuity toilet that was leaking between the inner plastic chamber and the porcelain tank. Called Briggs and they sent out the gasket (flat piece with four holes) and I installed that. However when I had it apart, all the other seals were worn and I thought I should try to replace them. Found a Plumb Works brand, Extra Thick Gasket and Bowl Kit (label says fits Briggs Vacuity Toilet tanks), part number: 664-1315.

However, I can't get that gasket to physically fit over the base of the tank.
photo-2.JPG

It was installed in early 2004, has a manufacture date stamp of July 2003. Started to have the issues where it ran every 10-15 minutes, replaced the flapper and that seems to have solved that issue.

Being a noob at this, I didn't think to take pictures as I took the system apart, but does the gasket with the two flaps sit flush to the base of the tank, or over the nut/washer? I know the gasket goes over the bolt, but wasn't sure if I put the "ear" on before or after the washer/nut?

Here is the original seal, that easily fits in place, but it's worn.photo-1.jpg

I've just come across this forum, does this project look like something that is better off with a new toilet (and not a Briggs?).

I've seen the 1-piece toilets, I can imaging these type of issues aren't a concern (seat/tank and fitting/sealing), but are there other drawbacks to the 1-piece?

I've read about the Toto, but being budget conscious, and not having a local dealer, are there brands that "prove the test of time?" Not opposed to a 2-piece bowl, but would like some feedback on the 1-piece.

Thanks for any input on either the continued repair of this toilet or the suggestions to replace it. It's been having the dreaded "multi-flush" as of late too. Maybe time to throw in the towel on this one?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,782
Last edited:

harringg

Reaction score
Never mind. Bought a Kohler Cimarron 11813-0 Class Six for under $250.00. Will return the parts I bought for the Briggs and apply towards purchase of new toilet. Needed something working before Monday.

Thanks

Moderator, feel free to delete my post.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
I had a Briggs Vacuity toilet installed in 2003. Until about a month ago I had no problems, no getting plugged up or anything bad. However, it has started to make a loud swishing noise every 3-4 hours for about 8 seconds then there is a thump and all is ok. I think maybe the flap needs replacing as it is possibly leaking and then when the water reaches a certain low level the swishing noise is the water filling the tank. (I am not a technical person!) There is no sound of a leak. The outlet where I bought it doesn't carry Briggs any more. I have sent email to a plumbing supply web site and hope they can help, but there are so many parts listed. It's been a great toilet and I wish I could work out how to fix it!
Judith C.
San Jose, CA=

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Shut the water off at the supply to the toilet and let it sit overnight...see if the water level in the tank has dropped. Or, put some food coloring in the tank (and still turn the water off). If it's leaking, you'll probably see the tint in the bowl before you might notice the level changing.

B West

Reaction score
Was almost ready to replace this toilet. What I've done to improve performance over several years time messing with it.
1. Notch the dam to allow more water to flow from float/valve area to flapper side. ~ 1/2" deep and 3/4" wide. (Performed years ago)
2. Ensure a Briggs flapper with float as close to flapper as possible and not a lot of slack in chain. Middle hole on lever.
3. Water level about 1/4" below overflow. These 3 items helped, but didn't solve the problem.
4. (I was about to pitch the toilet until I did this!) Cut a notch on bottom of the vacuum tank right hand side so water can escape quicker and draw better/quicker vacuum in trap-way. ~1 & 1/2" wide and ~1/2 - 3/4" deep. I think over time the plastic vacuum tank settles / deforms and reduces the path area for water to escape from the vacuum tank out the flush valve.
The toilet now flushes well, consistently. If you have not already notched the dam area (1) I would try notching the bottom of the vacuum tank first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks