4" lead to PVC or other extension

Users who are viewing this thread

jjlash

Reaction score
I have a 4 inch lead (malleable) waste pipe that comes up through the concrete floor in my basement that was installed for a future toilet when the house was built in 1986. It looks like it's made of lead or tin since it is very malleable. The pipe sticks up about 2 inches and goes down 9-10 inches to an elbow to the main drain. I'd like to find a way to extend this so that I can install a toliet on a 12 inch subfloor very short distance away. This would also allow me to put a deep sink in also and connect it to a possible proposed horizontal section of the extension via a sanitary tee. Any suggestions on how to connect PVC or other internally to the lead waste pipe in the floor and get a good seal? The internal ID on the lead pipe 3.75 inch so I'd have a 1/8 inch gap for any pipe put down inside. An older plummer told me there was nothing I could do and to tear out the subfloor and just put the toilet on the concrete....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think anything you try to do with that to extend it would be risky...best to tear it out and do it right.

jjlash

Reaction score
Tear the lead pipe out of the concrete floor? There is nothing that can be placed down inside the pipe and sealed. I know they use to do oakum and lead for cast iron and such.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, break out enough concrete to gain access to the drain pipe, use a Fernco coupler and go from their. Don't go el-cheapo on a toilet drain, it will bite you on the a** sooner or later. (Pun attended)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

From your description, it appears that your toilet connection would be a patch job, and I am not sure you are planning to do the sink drain properly either.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
IMHO ....
Best would be to chip out the floor and chase the lead bend back to the cast where it ties into the stack/main...
At that point, change to plastic and plumb the new fixtures correctly...

jjlash

Reaction score
This ended up being an easy job. I found a 3 inch PVC soil pipe adapter that fit nicely into the lead soil pipe in the concrete floor and installed it with Plastic Lead. From there I added a 3 inch sanitary tee with 1½ inch for the other drain and then the toilet flange directly on top of the sub floor. Very tight and solid install.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This ended up being an easy job. I found a 3 inch PVC soil pipe adapter that fit nicely into the lead soil pipe in the concrete floor and installed it with Plastic Lead. From there I added a 3 inch sanitary tee with 1½ inch for the other drain and then the toilet flange directly on top of the sub floor. Very tight and solid install.

Nice to you, but, to us it nothing but a "Hack Job!" Say, why does my basement smell like a turd!

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
This ended up being an easy job.

What did the inspector say when he saw it?

Oh - that is right...
Job was hacked in poorly and illegally and not inspected...

Hope there are no future flooding issues with your new install - insurance may not have to pay out claims on sewage flood damage if they find out about unpermitted plumbing drain work like you have done...

jjlash

Reaction score
LOL. I did have it checked and OK's by and experienced plumber said it looked great and will never leak. But I understand your angst with your profession... its kind of like how I feel when guys think the know about working on and using computers... or talk about crap sports and actually don't get out and play weekly. You're the expert and I'll have to take your word for it. PS. I paid the plumber to come in so I did not take food out of someone's mouth either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks