100A Main Panel…..100A Branch Circuit?

Users who are viewing this thread

lahabra

Reaction score

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
As long as the main panel has a 100a main breaker, there's nothing to prevent you from installing another 100a breaker for another panel.

My question would be: Is the main panel already supplying another panel somewhere else? If so, you may run into problems overloading the main by putting over 100 amps of load on it.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
You can feed three or four 100 amp subpanels with that set up as long as the calculated load on the main does not exceed 100 amps

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Typically a buss will have a maximum branch circuit breaker rating. Most are 100 or 125 amps.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Nice main panel. :)

I'm currently powering my 100A garage panel using a breaker coming out of my 100A house panel.

The inspector was ok with it, but I know that I could trip the main if I turn everything on at the same time.

Your case is better since the main panel only feeds the second panel and thus it is unlikely to overload the main panel.

Edit: There is one thing you will have to deal with. The ground and neutral can only be tied together at the main and you then have to remove the ground screw in the second panel and run 4 wires to the main.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks