Toilet Rough-In Confirmation

Users who are viewing this thread

Desert Shower

Reaction score
Geez,
New Year's Eve and I'm playing with Toilet Dimensions and Rough-Ins.

Breifly...I began a Guest Bath/Shower remodel a few weeks ago, so wanting to move from "inside out" of this room, began with the Shower so I ended up at the John Bridge forums. Numerous Plumbing posts there were referred here, so I'm hoping you guys/gals can also help. Everything in this Bath Room is coming out...Drywall, Floor, Vanity etc.

My original intention was to find a Toilet with a narrower Toilet Tank Lid than my current...(I believe an American Standard) that has a 19 1/4" wide Tank Lid.

The Toto UltraMax #MS853113S seems to "fit the bill." I didn't want to spend the $$$ for this product on a Guest Shower, but too many rave reviews here, and friends who also have Toto products convinced me to spend the bucks.

Read many posts here on this subject...I think know the answers...maybe not, but looking for confirmation.

My questions...
1. My current Rough-In (Drywall to Flange Bolts-the two that secure the Toilet to the Concrete Floor) are 13 7/8". So this is considered a 14" Rough-In?

2. My current Toilet Tank lid is 2 3/4" away (held off) the existing Drywall.
So this is considered a 12" Rough-In Toilet installed at a 14" Rough-In?

3. The Toto #MS853113S is considered a 12" Rough-In Toilet, and I will still have the 2 3/4" gap from the wall...which is OK with me.

4. If I feel "Frisky" and want to bust some Concrete, I could shorten the existing Toilet Drain (ABS I believe) back about 2" and the Toto Tank Lid would be appox. 3/4" from the wall?

Hope my descriptions are clear enough to everyone to respond.

First post...so probably too early to post links or photo's, but photo's and clearance issues are in John Bridge Forums with my same UserName...Post Title is "Mac's Guest Shower Remodel."

Continued success to everyone!

Need to find my sparklers and Corona now.

ms853113e-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why not go with one of the unifit models like the Toto Carrollton the unifit adapter makes it a 14 " rough.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any of the Totos with the Unifit adapter can be purchased with the 14" adapter (unfortunately, it comes packaged with the 12", so you'll have to buy the 14"). If you aren't put off with the gap, it's not a problem. I've got a Vespin (2-piece - skirted) and a Carlyle (one-piece, skirted) in my place. While the style may not match what you want, the skirt does make for a much cleaner line if it works for you - no nooks and crannies to catch stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desert Shower

Reaction score
Redwood...Thanks for the Carrollton suggestion. Viewing the specs it looks like it is 28 3/4" Deep. My existing Toilet is 27" Deep & the Tank sits appox. 2 3/4" off the wall. My thoughts with the Toto Ultra Max #MS853113 is that it only 26 1/2" Deep. I currently have 30" to the finished wall in front of the existing Toilet. Space is at a premium in the Bath/Shower...so the reason for my original question's

"4. If I feel "Frisky" and want to bust some Concrete, I could shorten the existing Toilet Drain (ABS I believe) back about 2" and the Toto Tank Lid would be appox. 3/4" from the wall?"

The Toto Unifit looks ingenious, but I'd prefer to deal with a minimal number of connections and fitting possible.

HJ...Tank Width may be immaterial in a perfect world, but unfortunately this Bath/Shower may be one from "Another World" or Older Codes, I'm not sure which. My preference is to work within current code compliance where possible, where not, I need to move ahead. What I think I need to do is get a sketch/drawing up on this post for better evaluation by everyone.

Jadnashua...Jim,
Appreciate your comments also.

Desert Shower

Reaction score
Bump,
One last time...anyone game?

My questions...
1. My current Rough-In (Drywall to Flange Bolts-the two that secure the Toilet to the Concrete Floor) are 13 7/8". So this is considered a 14" Rough-In?

2. My current Toilet Tank lid is 2 3/4" away (held off) the existing Drywall.
So this is considered a 12" Rough-In Toilet installed at a 14" Rough-In?

3. The Toto #MS853113S is considered a 12" Rough-In Toilet, and I will still have the 2 3/4" gap from the wall...which is OK with me.

4. If I feel "Frisky" and want to bust some Concrete, I could shorten the existing Toilet Drain (ABS I believe) back about 2" and the Toto Tank Lid would be appox. 3/4" from the wall?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pretty much all tanks have at least a little space behind them when installed at the specified standard rough-in, so, yes, you could use either a 14", 12", or even 10" rough toilet, depending on the size of the gap you want. An 1/8" of an inch is close enough for any 14" rough. The amount of space depends on the exact toilet you select.

Personally, I don't find the one extra connection with the Unifit adapter a problem, and I'd opt for one of those, but nearly any toilet you choose should fit. Some work better than others, and I'm partial to Toto, but that's another thing altogether.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
If you want to use a inexpensive option in Toto you can use a ST701-01 which is a "Reliance" 14" tank (deeper tank).
Thier web site doesn't list it but you can do a search for "Reliance ST701" and you will find links with pictures.
If you do not like the Reliance bowl you can use the "Carusoe" of even the "Dalton" comfort height bowls, they will all work with that tank.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Hi, Mac --

I think your real unanswered question is:

"4. If I feel "Frisky" and want to bust some Concrete, I could shorten the existing Toilet Drain (ABS I believe) back about 2" and the Toto Tank Lid would be appox. 3/4" from the wall?"

The answer is obviously "yes", but IMHO you'd have to be feeling a lot friskier than I felt after busting a bunch of concrete to remodel my bath. OTOH, when it's all done, you'd be a lot happier not having to look at that 2" gap between the tank and the wall.

mike

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The width of the tank should be immaterial because the toilet MUST be in a recess/space at least 30" wide.
I've got an ADA Drake in a 24" wide space between the vanity and a wall and we're very happy with it. If some pinko commie inspector wants to do anything about it, he'll have to pry my pipe wrench from my cold, dead hands.

Desert Shower

Reaction score
Hey Mike,
Thanks...you nailed it, that was the answer I was lookin for.

Also like ther sentiment expressed in your follow up post..."Pinko Commie, and Cold Dead Hands".

Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks