(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: GFCI outlet / 2 lights / switch at end of run

Default GFCI outlet / 2 lights / switch at end of run

I'm running power from a GFCI outlet to two lights with a light
    switch on the end of the power run using 12/2 wire. I have made a diagram giving the details (see link below).
    1. Is this a correct configuration?
    2. Will the lights and switch be protected by the GFCI (assuming I wire the GFCI correctly?

GFCI diagram.
    Last edited by rioguia; 12-30-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you run the leads to the switch and lamps from the load side of the gfci, yes. Normally you'd continue the black to the switch and then designate the white as the switched lead with some red tape on each end.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    If you run the leads to the switch and lamps from the load side of the gfci, yes. Normally you'd continue the black to the switch and then designate the white as the switched lead with some red tape on each end.
    Nope, he has it right.

The re-designated white should be the constant hot wire, the already-black wire is the switched.

I don't know why, and I'd have to dig a bit for the threads, but all the sparkies agree on it. It struck me as counter-intuitive, too, but that's the industry standard, apparently...

okay, I didn't have to dig that far:

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ighlight=3-way*

Apparently it's a code violation to do it otherwise.

*Standard JLConline link disclaimer: it's a pro-only site, and some people there can get pretty rude about it. If you're not an industry pro, you can read as much as you want, you can even register (allows you to download attachments, and saves you having to type a verification code when you search), but DO NOT POST there. Nobody will answer you, and they'll pick on you, as well. Exceptions to this rule: the electrical sub-forum, and the building-science sub-forum, are open to anyone.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...