Moen rough-in tub/shower valve questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
I'm confused by the terms used for Moen rough-in valves used for tub/shower faucets.
1) What is the difference between their posi-temp pressure balance valve & the Moentrol pressure balance valve?
2) For any valve, what do the terms cc, imt, etc mean for the type of conncection?
3) What is the M-pact system?

I currently have the rough-in valve that takes the small, faucet type cartridge. What I want (I think) is the type of valve that has the larger type cartridge. Specifically, I want the rough-in valve that solders to 1/2" copper, has intregal shout-off valves, & keeps shower temp constant, even if some one flushes a toliet.

Please educate me.
Thanks, FJK

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A pressure balance valve would sense the reduction in pressure from the cold side and lower the hot water to compensate, reducing the ultimate volume on both feeds.

A temperature sensitive valve needs to react to the difference in temperature caused by decreasing the cold flow, dropping in temp of the hot side, or decreased temp of the cold supply. It does this by either reducing the hot or increasing the cold, ultimately producing the same effect. It has the added benefit of adjusting the outputs automatically as you use up the hot water in the WH tank, stretching the time the temperature remains constant until it's running all hot (which may be cold by then). WIth a pressure balance valve, as you use up the hot water, you'd have to be adjusting the valve to keep the temp fairly constant since the pressure wasn't changing, the temperature(s) of the supplies are.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Positemp has a balanceing spool integral with the off on cartridge. Moentrol, the on/off cartridge is the regular moen pull out type, and the pressure balance spool is a completey separte part inside the body.

CC of something like that means copper sweat connection, FIPS, or NPT, are references to pipe thread. Others may have connections for CPVC or PEX.

M-pact is Moens buzzword for the system where you use a common valve body and select from a wide array of trim which fits it.

FJK

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys. I've noticed some valves have "1/4 turn stops" to control maximum hot water temperature (which I don't really need). However, aren't these 1/4 turn stops also serve as a shutoff valve, making it easy to remove the cartridge? Anyone know?
Thanks, FJK

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The integral 1/4 turn stops are for service. They would never be used to control temperature or water volume. On a Positemp, there is an adjustable mechanical hot limit stop, under the handle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks