(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: red triangle on water meter

Default red triangle on water meter

Hi

I recently noticed that the red triangle on the face of my water meter was moving back and forth by about 3/4 of a revolution. Each time it moved forward-backwards-forward, it ended up a little past where it was.

I didn't have any fixtures, etc turned on while this was happening. Is the only cause of this a leak somewhere? And why would it be moving backwards?

Thanks for any feedback
    Will

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

Meter leak indicators can be a little "sensitive". They spin very rapidly when any water is running, and should be at a stop when not.
    Do you have traffic going by nearby or anything else that might be causing it to move? Public water pressure fluctuations?

Time to check all the faucets for drips and dye test the toilet tanks.

Default red

If it is moving back and forth, then it is responding to pressure fluctuations. A leak would make it rotate.

Each time it moved forward-backwards-forward, it ended up a little past where it was.
    Time to check for leaks!

Lets place bets, mine is on a leaky flapper.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

I would check the water level of the toilet(s). I once had a toilet fill to the top of the over flow and stop then drain down the overflow then fill again. It was a stop go stop go. Then again a bad flapper will do the same thing

I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick88 View Post
    I would check the water level of the toilet(s). I once had a toilet fill to the top of the over flow and stop then drain down the overflow then fill again. It was a stop go stop go. Then again a bad flapper will do the same thing

Dam, ya got me, I shoulda just generalized and said toilet...good point.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'll test the toilets and faucets this weekend, and post an update with any findings.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by patrick88 View Post

That is also what happens when a bowl refill tube is too far down the owerflow tube and the tank water level is set too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    That is also what happens when a bowl refill tube is too far down the owerflow tube and the tank water level is set too high.
    Ya I tend to install the air gap so that doesn't happen. Saves the call backs for something that could have been prevented with one minor piece.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

My vote is for pressure fluctuations. I agree that if something was using water, the indicator would only move in one direction.