Toto Drake or Ultramax

Users who are viewing this thread

ShinerBurke

Reaction score
Building a new house and need 3 toilets. Been reading about the Toto line, thankfully because I was about to buy a Kohler, but can't reach a decision between the Drake and the Ultramax.

Can someone give me a breakdown on the pros and cons of each?

Also...is the Toto Cyclone flushing system better than the G-Max? I may look at toilets with that system as well if it seems worthwhile.

Thanks! I appreciate any feedback you give me.

https://terrylove.com/store/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake and Ultramax are similar,
one is a two-piece, and the other is a one-piece.
The one-piece toilets are coming with seats.

They Cyclone system is on the rinse, they still have the siphon jet flush.
It's considered an upgraded rinse.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Either is a great toilet with the edge in flushing ability going to the Drake by about 1 Kohler Wellworth's flushing ability.

ShinerBurke

Reaction score
Wow! What a fast reply!

So essentially the difference between the G-Max and the Cyclone is just the enhanced cleaning of the Cyclone? That means, to me anyway, that toilets with the Cyclone system can be expected to flush as well as the Drake or Ultramax, but clean a bit better?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think the drake is a better flusher but a common complaint is skid marks in the bowl from a lack of washdown. The cyclone flush washes the bowl down with a slight loss in flushing ability. However they are in the flushing capacity range where clogs are not very likely.

ShinerBurke

Reaction score
She's a hell of a woman to take the blame for your skid marks!:D

Hehe.....she's 5'5" and weighs in at 112lbs and can do things in the bathroom that I consider calling the Guinness Book people about.

Frightening really.

Anyway...how quiet are these toilets? 1 of the 3 in our house will be installed just off the game room and I want something that is fairly quiet in there.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have only seen the drake in action I don't know of the noise level on the cyclone flush models.

Jimm

Reaction score
The toilet near the game room - if possible insulate the walls to keep the sound down, but be sure you have an exhaust fan.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The two models with the Cyclone flush system are the Soiree (which I have) and the Guinevere. They work the same, just different appearance.

I highly recommend them. The Cyclone wash works very well, especially with the CEFIONTECT coating.

It's very quiet.

Greg Mueller

Reaction score
I read about the Drake a year plus ago and replaced the toilet I had in the half bath. The toilet I had in there was awful, clogging constantly. The experiment was a success and I was so happy with the Drake I bought two for the house I am building in NM. I have never had a clog with the Drake.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Toto Dartmouth which is very similar to the Drake. It is, IMHO, very a quite flusher. I have very little issue with skid marks. It has never clogged. You might want to consider the Ultramax because of the one piece feature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks