Small leak....

Users who are viewing this thread

jrp1948

Reaction score
I found a small leak in the basement. The house is 10 years old and it has a poured foundation. The leak is in the fitting just insie the foundation.
In the picture you can see where the leak starts as it's brown and chipping. I think it's in the main pipe, not coming from the threads. There appears to be concrete or some form of concrete around this pipe but I'm afraid to clean it off yet as it might make the leak bigger.
Does this look like something that can be stopped with some type of sealant?? Or should I call a professional?

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 214

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
Can you post another picture with a wider angle? I really can't tell exactly what I am looking at. What I see though does not look very nice. It seems to be a fitting of unknown type and size vertically discharging into what looks like some type of pressure fitting. The vertical fitting has what looks like a hub at the top but no hub at the bottom suggesting it may be some type of street fitting or perhaps what I am seeing is not a vertically oriented fitting at the top of the photo but a section of pipe descending from the hub of a fitting that really can't be seen. In either case the "connection" to the "pressure" fitting lying on it's back is not centered in the hub which suggests this is an illegal connection. I can't really tell though and a larger photo would be helpful as well as some indication as to the sizes we are looking at.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree. The pipe appears to be off-center, as if it was busted loose. Unless you're good at fixing things, I'd call a plumber - a good one. It appears to me that the connection was a bit weird to begin with.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
From what I can see, thats a main stack going through concrete with a sleeve around it.
We do need more pics from a side view.
From that angle it's hard to see where the leak is..I assume the brown patch is dry evidence of a leak with rust mixed in.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I was thinking this is a picuture of pipe penetrating the foundation horizontally, pic taken from below looking up???

jrp1948

Reaction score
jimbo, that's correct. I'm trying to attach another pciture, but it won't work for some reason. Yesterday's attachment opened right up?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks