Conduit for Ethernet

Users who are viewing this thread

Seaneys

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm curious what everyones thoughts are for conduit for use with ethernet / video branches?

I've seen the blue flexible conduit used on our area. Doe sit work well?

Thanks,
Steve

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Depends on the application of the raceway, around my area the cable is installed without the use of a raceway in over 90% of installations.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I am currently doing Ethernet, telephone and television cabling in my house and I am using a combination of rigid PVC and flexible conduit.

I am using the rigid for main runs to and between junction & pull boxes and then the flexible to the individual branch access points.

It makes for a VERY neat system and because most of it runs in my crawl space it also protects the wiring from rodent damage.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I didn't use conduit when I ran Ethernet, telephone and television cables and everything worked well.

One note: Don't use metal conduit with Ethernet or telephone cables since they are sensitive to nearby metal. They do make conduit ready wire, but it's better to just use plastic conduit.

Seaneys

Reaction score
I didn't use conduit when I ran Ethernet, telephone and television cables and everything worked well.

One note: Don't use metal conduit with Ethernet or telephone cables since they are sensitive to nearby metal. They do make conduit ready wire, but it's better to just use plastic conduit.

I may need to pull wires after they insulate.. It is getting cold here..

interalian

Reaction score

Really. My office building runs 100/1G ethernet throughout, all inside metal conduit with about 60 home runs to the switch room. The conduit originally housed 25 pair telecom wire for the old Nortel SL-1, then was re-wired for arcnet (coaxial cable) and digital phones. The arcnet cables were replaced with Ethernet in the same conduits. Never a problem in 17 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks