(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Conduit for Ethernet

Default Conduit for Ethernet

Hello,

I'm curious what everyones thoughts are for conduit for use with ethernet / video branches?

I've seen the blue flexible conduit used on our area. Doe sit work well?

Thanks,
    Steve

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Depends on the application of the raceway, around my area the cable is installed without the use of a raceway in over 90% of installations.

I am currently doing Ethernet, telephone and television cabling in my house and I am using a combination of rigid PVC and flexible conduit.

I am using the rigid for main runs to and between junction & pull boxes and then the flexible to the individual branch access points.

It makes for a VERY neat system and because most of it runs in my crawl space it also protects the wiring from rodent damage.

I like the PVC. The blue works, but can be harder to get wire through later if they change the technology.

I didn't use conduit when I ran Ethernet, telephone and television cables and everything worked well.

One note: Don't use metal conduit with Ethernet or telephone cables since they are sensitive to nearby metal. They do make conduit ready wire, but it's better to just use plastic conduit.
    Important note Ė I donít know man made laws, just laws of physics
    Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.

Quote Originally Posted by construct30 View Post
    I like the PVC. The blue works, but can be harder to get wire through later if they change the technology.
    Did you use the Flexible blue conduit?

Thanks!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arden View Post
    I didn't use conduit when I ran Ethernet, telephone and television cables and everything worked well.

One note: Don't use metal conduit with Ethernet or telephone cables since they are sensitive to nearby metal. They do make conduit ready wire, but it's better to just use plastic conduit.
    I may need to pull wires after they insulate.. It is getting cold here..

I use flexible blue pipe. Works fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arden View Post

Really. My office building runs 100/1G ethernet throughout, all inside metal conduit with about 60 home runs to the switch room. The conduit originally housed 25 pair telecom wire for the old Nortel SL-1, then was re-wired for arcnet (coaxial cable) and digital phones. The arcnet cables were replaced with Ethernet in the same conduits. Never a problem in 17 years.