Tub Bedding

Users who are viewing this thread

fowlermi

Reaction score
I saw on one posting where you said bedding just needs to be some piles that will smoosh down when the tub is installed. I am installing an American Standard whirlpool tub, model 2425L/V-LHO which is recommending mortar bedding for the entire bottom of the tub. It is being installed on a concrete foundation of a 13 yr old house. I have 3 questions.

1. What is the best way to go about ensuring the maximum amount of bedding support for the complete bottom of the tub?

2. What is going to keep the mortar from cracking and crumbling away when there is 500-600 lbs or more of water and body in the tub?

2. The installation instructions are a little vague on voiding the warranty if a certain size access door is not provided for the pump end of the tub. My problem is because I am replacing an existing tub, the pump end is on an outside wall making a pump access door impratical. The tub itself has an access panel on it. Do you think American Standard will honor the warranty?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A warranty would be of little value if a service man could not access the pump for repair.

Construct30

Reaction score
You have to get enough mortar, but not too much. It has to have a place to go as you set the tub down level. Getting the tub level is the trick. If you go too low, you have to pick the tub up and add more mortar. I've seen tubs with full mortar beds that the bottom still flexed because they pushed the tub down too far pulled it back up and secured it. A tub with a full lip the entire way around, drop in, is easier.

You need a good access panel. I've seen drop in tubs that had to be lifted for repairs, very expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks