(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Fill Whirlpool through jets???

Default Fill Whirlpool through jets???

I'm installing a whirlpool and do not want to have a tub spout poking me in the back when I'm relaxing, so I am considering adding a tee into the 1" line that is connected to the jets and piping the tub fill to to the tee so that the tub is filled through the jets. I have a Neptune tub and there is also an air line that connects to each of the jets. Is this going to work or should I consider something else? Thanks for your advice and help.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Plumbing code requires a 1" air gap between the filler and the flood level of the tub.

Any inspector that saw that would turn the job down.
    The reason, is cross contamination.
    You could wind up pulling your bath water into the water supply that you and your family drink, if the water is ever shut off for any reason.

What if I installed a backflow preventer? I know that MTI has a Fill-Flush system with an air gap on top. Would a similar system work? or are there other problems to be concerned with?

Thanks

Default tub

You could wind up pulling your bath water into the water supply that you and your family drink, if the water is ever shut off for any reason.

Or contaminate all of your neighbors' drinking water if the city shuts off the water because of a break.

Default fill

We don't know how that system is constructed or if you would use it or one of your own devising. There are lots of spouts for spa tubs that do not have to be mounted where they would be sticking you in the back.