which rheem water heater???

Users who are viewing this thread

popawheelie

Reaction score
I've been looking at water heaters for a while now and have settled in on a rheem. I'm not sure which one to get though.

Here's our household situation. We have three full baths. We have two kitchens. One has a dishwasher but the other just has a sink. The third bath and second kitchen will be rented out in the future as we are in a college town. No whirlpool baths or anything else.
I do plan to put a circulation loop on in the future since two bathrooms and the second kitchen is on the other side of the house. I have good access to install the loop.
I have gas at the water heater spot with venting through the roof. I would like to buy a water heater that has 2" of insulation and is high effiency rated. We live at a high elevation. Ft Collins is at 5,000 feet.
Any reccomendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
75 gallon fury

a house of your size with a apartment will be pretty
demanding on a heater...

I would go with a 75 gallon Rheem Fury or PRO unit

you might be able to squeak by with a 50 , but that would iffey......

I dont know what is available in colorado as far as models

With a recirulaiton line installed , it might be wise to
put that pump on a timer.... if you are worried about economy

as far as thickness of insualtion, you can always
add a blanket on the heater for 15 bucks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Rheem residential water heaters, at lest up to 50 gallons, are rated for operation up to 10,200 feet. Larger BTU ones, you don't really need to worry, because the state of Colorado derates its natural gas, so most any heater is good to at least 8000 feet. Rheem and its distributors stock water heaters in Colorado which will work in Colorado. If there are any issues, your distributor or installing contractor will know what to do.Would it be possible to separate the piping, and run the rental on a 40 gallon, and put a 50 gallon on the main house?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had a home with three bathrooms, and two kitchens,
I rented the downstairs.
The home had a 40 gallon gas water heater.
A 50 would have made more sense, though enough hot water never seemed to be an issue. Maybe we just had different schedules.
It depends on how long people expect their shower to be too.
After I put in the 40, I was thinking of how little it cost to keep a 50 heated, and that it would have given more first hour heat.
I haven't installed a 40 since. I mainly install the 50 gal, 40,000 btu tanks.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rheem Water Heater

:d

At Least A 75gal. If You Have The Gas & Vent Size's,

You Have To Figure "max" Demand, "not" What You May Wish For ! !

Ie: The Dishwaser, Washer Machine, Two Showers At Same Time Just Like You Would Size Gas, Water, Or Sewer Usage,

If It Can Be Done People Are Going To Run That Much At Same Time

Jerrymac Masterplumber Ph.d. Water Heaterolgy:d

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks