Deep well sumersible looses pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

drh16

Reaction score
Hi forum, I installed a new 3/4 hp submersible pump,it is 100 ft down in the casing.When I let the water run at full pressure, after about five minutes the pressure starts to drop then goes to zero.It seems to be running out of water or maybe the well is caving in.Can anybody help me trouble shoot this . The well is 30 years old has a steel casing,I was told it is three hunderd feet deep.The pressure is set at 40/60. Thanks drh16

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Did you put the new pump back in the same spot as the old one?

Did you measure the depth to water before you put the new one back in?

Did you replace it with the same pump as you had previously or a different pump?

What 3/4hp pump did you buy?

bob...

R

Rancher

Hi forum, I installed a new 3/4 hp submersible pump,it is 100 ft down in the casing.When I let the water run at full pressure, after about five minutes the pressure starts to drop then goes to zero.It seems to be running out of water or maybe the well is caving in.
It probably is running out of water, could you do this with the old pump? The well is not caving in unless the casing has rotted away. If your well is 300' deep, you can set the pump at a lower depth and get more water before it runs dry. If you do this a lot I would recommend a PumpTec box to protect the pump when it does run dry.

Rancher

drh16

Reaction score
deep well pump

Did you put the new pump back in the same spot as the old one?

Did you measure the depth to water before you put the new one back in?

Did you replace it with the same pump as you had previously or a different pump?

What 3/4hp pump did you buy
----------------------------
I had 3/4 hp deep well jet pump with a foot valve it was 66 ft down,the water is 44 ft to the top,Iput the new submersible a Wayne 3/4hp drawing 12gpm at 80ft down to 100 ft ,which gives me 56ft from the top of the water level.I was having a pressure problem with the old too.But never ran out of water.I have 36 gallon bladder tank on this system.Should I drop the pump down another 25 or 50 ft and will this 3/4 pump give me the pressure I need or go with a 1HP pump.Thanks drh16 PS. What is a Pump Tec Box and where I get one.Also is this bladder tank large enough.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would set the pump down around 200 ft. You can draw the water lower and the recharge rate will increase as the level in the well drops.

The new pump has much more capacity than the deep-well jet. They have terrible efficiency and the submersible probably pumps 2x as much water at the same head.

The 36 gallon tank (if that is actual volume) is ok but just about the minimum for a 12 GPM pump.

A PumpTec shuts off the pump if the water level drops down to the pump, which causes lower current, which is sensed by the PumpTec. Find data at the links. The PumpTec is found at the Franklin items on the WWPP site.

http://www.wwpp.us/

http://www.wwpp.us/franklin/franklin-2-wire-motor.shtml

Speedbump

Reaction score
I had 3/4 hp deep well jet pump with a foot valve it was 66 ft down,the water is 44 ft to the top,Iput the new submersible a Wayne 3/4hp drawing 12gpm at 80ft down to 100 ft ,which gives me 56ft from the top of the water level.

If your well is deep enough, BobNH is correct, the pump should be at or below 200 feet if your well is a low yield well.

You said you had a footvalve at 60 foot, it only needed to be at 30 foot. But then you said your water level was 44 foot, so a shallow well jet wouldn't work. I guess you mean you had a two pipe jet down at 60 foot.

Since you bought a Wayne Pump, I have no reason to believe you bought a good tank either, so I would be very careful of it waterlogging and taking out your motor. A Cycle Stop Valve would be helpful. You can buy a Motor Protection from me if you like along with everything else you need for your well.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Deep well sumersible

The 3/4 hp submersible pump is over pumping your well at the depth it is set. You may be able to lower the pump in the well and help some. The tank size should be OK.

You could install a throttle valve on the pump to reduce the gpm. . it won't hurt the pump.

To prevent the pump from running dry in the future I suggest you install a Cycle Sensor www.cyclestopvalves.com or maybe a PumpTec. . . The Cycle Sensor is best.

While at the Cycle Stop Valve web site look up the CSV-150 valve. It will give you constant pressure (like city water pressure) and you're wife will love it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks