(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Tinsey leak in the bowl

Default Tinsey leak in the bowl

My newly installed toliet always seems to have a tiny bit of water dripping down the back of the bowl. Just enough to disturb the water when I look down. In this age of ultra conservation, I just want to make sure it isn't running my water bill up. Where do I need to tighten something?

might try coloring the water in the tank to see whether it comes into the bowl. if so, your flapper is leaking slightly or your tank level could be too high and leaking into the overflow tube.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Check the flapper valve to make sure the chain isn't caught under it, or it is too short so it is holding it up slightly. Also, hold the flapper up and run your finger around the seat where it normally sets to see if there is something caught there...it should be nice and smooth. Also, a flapper works better if it is only connected to the ears, and not by a portion wrapping around the overflow tower.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

A lot of inexpensive toilets tend to come with the cheapest internal parts. I have replaced the fill valve and the flapper on many new toilets, because they leaked right off the bat.

The best flapper is the Korky Red.

Default Thanks for the help!

I will check that out today, my first day off in forever. Bigger problems have come up that I will put in another post.