GFCI Breaker vs. Receptacles

Users who are viewing this thread

Washer Woman

Reaction score
Hello All-
I am wanting to get opinions on wiring bathroom outlets, kitchen counter outlets, oudoor outlets, etc. on GFCI breakers or if I should do GFCI receptacles instead? This is new construction. Thanks in advance.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A breaker protects the whole circuit, but usually costs much more. A GFCI receptacle protects that receptacle location and is usually wired to protect all location after that on the circuit.

If you want to protect the whole circuit with a GFCI receptacle then you put it at the first receptacle location on the circuit.

Another advantage of the circuit breaker is that when the circuit trips out you know where to look to reset it. If it is a receptacle you need to find the receptacle, which may not be in an obvious or even logical location.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I think the price of a 3-pack of GFCI receptacles is about the same as a single 20A GFCI breaker. (Not as bad as the AFCI breakers you'll need shortly though.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks