Install of Kohler k-14489 valve

Users who are viewing this thread

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Hello all, new to this site, hope you can help.

I am installing a shower valve onto plumbing already roughed in by my plumber as this is a bathroom project we are finishing on our own after the rest of the house was completed.

The valve will be behind a tiled wall with no planned access from the other side(other than tearing out drywall).

I have 4 questions. The first in regards to the valves in the picture. The plumber put these valves in but I'm not sure if they should be removed or left since there will be no planned access. Is it a good idea to have valves buried in a wall w/ no access?
shower_valve_1.jpg

Question 2 is regarding the support of the valve. Is what is pictured ok.the valve is resting on the 2x4 on the body of the valve.

Question 3: should I also in stall hammer arresters at this valve in the wall?

Question 4: I'm a little confused about the plaster guard. I have to have the valve all the way against the backside of the drywall to make this fit. Does sound right for a k-14489 in 2x4 wall, with about 3/4" total of wall board and tile?

thanks very much!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Those ball valves will probably outlive the house, so no harm leaving them. The only good reason to have them is convenience ...like now, during the remodel.

The valve needs to be attached to a crossbrace of some kind, to prevent movement in the wall, even though is sounds like a tight fit.

Hammer arrestors could be used. We don't use them much around here, but some people like to use them.

As far as placement of the valve, the installation instructions and that plaster guard fitting give you the specific placement of the valve with respect to the finished wall surface. If you don't follow that spec, you will have problems attaching trim and handles.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Thanks, Jimbo!!

1 more question about the crossbrace....I interpret what you said that I need something behind the valve to strap to well.

I think I can rip some 3/8" plywood and then use strapping material to fasten the valve body to the plywood.

Would this suffice? There aren't any flanges w/ holes cast in the valve .... straps seem to be the only way to fasten this thing.

thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks