Shower glass

Users who are viewing this thread

deepseadiver

Reaction score
I'm building a new shower that is 48 " wide. I was going to put in a glasss sliding by-pass door. I have seen on the net where instead of by-pass door they install a fixed piece glass on the shower head side. no glass on the other side.
How will this work concerning water coming ouf shower. note: shower is 36 " wide,

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have seen one shower set up like that and it worked fine. I have also seen a huge shower with no doors or walls and it was fine. The reasoning is that the water will not reach that far to get out. Most of the water stays on the side of the head. I would think real hard before making any big choices. If you install a bunch of heads all over you might want the doors. It all comes down what works for you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, not having doors can be quite chilly in the winter (or even in the summer for that matter) while taking a shower!

there is a minimum opening when using bypass doors...I'm not sure if 24" is enough...check with the local authorities as to the actual minimum (note, your 48" probably will need a smaller door opening as they are usually measured from wall to wall, and there is some structure that sticks out so your opening would be smaller).

Another alternative is a fixed panel and a hinged one if bypass doors aren't an option.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Many places do not allow bypass doors on a 48" shower, as that puts the clear entrance opening at something under 24".

I have seen lots of set-up where we use a fixed panel + a swinging door. That works well. I can see where your set-up would probably work OK, with minimum if any splashing of water out of the shower. I think it would look a little strange!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
doors

Most shower doors are 24" or less. The single panel works if the shower is wide enough to limit the side splash, and the tile floor extends past the opening to control water that does exit the shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks