Need help with pressure tank - air volume control?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
After being gone for the weekend I have a problem with my pressure tank.

I always turn the well pump off when we leave for extended periods of time. Usually pressure is maintained in the system but I forgot to turn the humidifier off so it drained the system of all pressure.

I flipped the switch back on, the well came on, and filled the tank again. Problem is, the pump is "short cycling" now. I get no more hissing from the air volume control, and the pressure drops pretty quickly once the pump turns off.

It will maintain pressure just fine. If the pump comes on, and then I shut off any water use, it will go up to 60psi, shut off, and then drop to about 58psi. It would sit there all day if there were no use.

It seems that there is very little drawdown though. When using the washer or a shower, the pump comes on a lot more frequently that it used to. I have a 40gal galvanized tank. It has an air volume control with a gauge on the side about 1/2 way up.

Any suggestions on what is wrong and how to fix it? I don't want to keep doing this to my pump.

Thanks.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Do you have a submersible pump or a jet pump?

Do you have a check valve by the tank (brass) with a schrader valve in it and possibly the pressure switch mounted on it as well?
bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks