Shallow well soultion...??

Users who are viewing this thread

Joncroke

Reaction score
I typically 'run out' of water by the end of one clothes washing load if there have been a couple of showers run prior. This has always been the case since I lived here and have adjusted living style to compensate. The well man that drilled it years ago said that this matches the recorded output logged when drilled years ago.

I have heard that there is some device that I can wire into the well pump motor that senses when the motor is unloaded (water low in well) and shuts off the pump motor. Then, after a time interval, it turns on the pump and then cycles off when unloaded again. The idea, as I understand it, would be to get a large holding tank, (not pressure tank) and let the pump fill it as it can. ANother pump wold provide pressure in the home on an as needed basis from that storage tank. This way, I am collecting water during off peak uses and saving it for later.

Is there such a device? What is it called and can I get it from McMasters or similar?

Thanks for any advice.

Jon

Joncroke

Reaction score
Well type...

I will describe it best I can (!)

Its about a 5 or 6" hole about 150' down.... pump motor is way down there suspended from a pipe (replaced 2 years ago). Our area here has lots of rock layers under ground (Door county peninsula, Wisconsin) so it would be expensive to drill further down... but driller says it can be done, no guarantees of how far to get a better flow rate. I have a 4' tall pressure tank in the home. Years ago (5) I could get 2 loads of laundry before running out... now its almost one. It takes about 5 hrs to get enough water back to fill pressure tank.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Thought you might have had a shallow well jet pump. One brute force idea is more pressurized water storage. Enough so you don't run out. If the well itself is 'going dry' then the water flow will temporarily cease when the level reaches the pump (not a very good thing) and you want other solutions.

If you did drill deeper, you could set the pump deeper, and have a larger amount of water in the shaft to pump out, even if the actual recovery rate of the well doesn't increase.

R

Rancher

I have heard that there is some device that I can wire into the well pump motor that senses when the motor is unloaded (water low in well) and shuts off the pump motor. Then, after a time interval, it turns on the pump and then cycles off when unloaded again. The idea, as I understand it, would be to get a large holding tank, (not pressure tank) and let the pump fill it as it can. ANother pump wold provide pressure in the home on an as needed basis from that storage tank. This way, I am collecting water during off peak uses and saving it for later.
Yes there is such a device, you can get it at:
http://www.deanbennett.com
http://www.grainger.com

Is there such a device? What is it called and can I get it from McMasters or similar?
It's called Pumptec. Check prices before buying anything at McMasters.

Rancher

Joncroke

Reaction score
Thats it!!! Thank you a bunch!

I found the Pumptec user manual online and it does just what I want. Lots less expensive than drilling a deeper well! (tho that would be the more permanent solution)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks