Question about proper fittings to use on shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

MP5SDA3

Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum. I am installing a Schluter shower system using a 2" drain. The original drain was 1.5" and between joist bays. Installing the new 2" trap means that I have disconnected the old 2-2-1-1/2" Wye fitting, capped it off and will cut the 2" drain pipe upstream and insert a fitting of some type- either a Combo, or Wye or San-T? Which is code or proper?

Second question is- it is reasonable to use a short radius 90 degree ell like a vent ell immediately after the shower drain which then connects to the trap, or do I need to use a long turn 90 degree or something else. This is important because I will have to cut into a double 2x10 joist some to get the needed clearance for the drain/trap assembly.

BTW, the vent system is retained by using a San-T with Street fitting on the vent side which is 1.5" and is VTR.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

http://www.schluter.com/media/ShowerBrochure-ENG07.pdf

MP5SDA3...

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
abs_p-trap.gif

Normally a p-trap for a shower has a very tight street bend into the weir of the trap.

Most code requires a combo on it's back for venting if horizontal, or if on the vertical, a santee.

Waste and trap are 2"
Vents are 1-1/2"

If the installation is from far enough back, you may notice that the fittings and sizes they used are different.

Last edited:

Construct30

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a sanitary tee on its back laying horizontal, not right a vent must come off a horitontal drain at least 45 or more vertical and you need a wye like Terry said not a tee. A vent cannot run horizontal under the shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks