Renter P trap problem

Users who are viewing this thread

mmadigan

Reaction score
Can someone assist with this issue please.

I am renting a house in Southern California. I noticed that everytime I flush the down stairs toilet the homemade shower addition makes a gurggles noise, and you hear the water running under the shower pipe. I am not sure if there is a p trap. Lately there is also a foul smell in same bathroom. Can someome tell me if I am supposed to hear the toilet water running directly under the shower drain ? If so, can this cause the smell. Someone ( not a plumber) tells me that there may be no p trap and that this is necessary to keep the fumes out.

Mike

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
It could also be that it is incorrectly vented and the water is pulled out of the trap every time the toilet is flushed. Either way, it would allow sewer gas into the house and be a source of the smell.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If this shower is not used the trap may have dried out by evaporation. Run some water and see if that cures it. If not there may not be a trap. Discuss this problem with the landlord if running water doesn't fix it. Any repairs would need his blessing!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a correctly installed shower p-trap, if you take a flashlight, you should be able to see a circle of water at the top of the trap. It could be down a few inches to maybe as much as a foot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks