How to tile the top of a shower..

Users who are viewing this thread

dstarnes

Reaction score
On new construction, I have been having the top of my showers tiled for looks. I am buying a standard 4 ft shower(fiberglass). I have been having tile installed from the top of the shower up towards the ceiling. Gives a dressy look. The problem is where the drywall goes over the lip around the top of the shower. This make drywall have a slight arc in it. When you tile it is very noticeable that the tile is not running straight up or square...any suggestions on this...Some have suggested putting lath strips on wall to bring wall out over flange..this is ok but not if the wall is large. Can you just build up the mastic on the top and have it thin where the drywall goes over the flange trying to make the tile flat???

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This drywall bulge is one of the reasons I never liked the one piece fibreglass modules. I don't know any easy way to deal with it.

Taste is very personal, but adding a classy touch like tile, seems to me to call attention the the "pedestrian" fibreglass.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

Tile lines are vertical so anything that tapers is going to be obvious. The only way to eliminate the bulge is to either furr the entire wall, or notch the shower into the studs, which is not always possible unless the recess is a very tight fit to the stall.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Do a search, this has been dealth with a number of times.

The other solution is to butt the drywall to the lip, rather than go over it, and fill the gap with setting compound, then tape over the fill.

Mastic is not appropriate for damp locations, your tiles'll be falling off in short order. Use thinset.

Neither is drywall, unless you use a surface-applied membrane as well.

I would use thinner-then-the-sheetrock wonderboard, shim out the studs.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Although it may not be "by the book", I don't think he will have trouble with tile applied up there at the 6'+ level, with the mastic. There have been a lot of showers done over the years with mastic, and they did not all just fall apart.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
well... yeah... but I've taken apart too many moldering drywall & mastic showers in my time, to not dis-recommend it.

Nasty, nasty, nasty. Black, smelly, moldy... yuk. hate it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Technically, above the shower head is not considered a wet area. Yes, it does sometimes get a little spray, but nothing like those areas below the head. I'd still use thinset, it's cheaper and then you'd have no problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks