(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Anyone know if there are new ARC FAULT requirements in NEC 2008?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    DIY Member lahabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    50

    Smile Anyone know if there are new ARC FAULT requirements in NEC 2008?

    I herd that arc fault requirements are going to be expanded soon.

  2. #2
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    For more information go here

  3. #3
    Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NY State, USA
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lahabra View Post
    I herd that arc fault requirements are going to be expanded soon.
    That depends.
    Will your area adopt the 2008 NEC?
    If so when?
    If so then go to JW's link and read up.

  4. #4

    Default

    Also, some AHJs are adopting the '08 and are modifying it so AFCIs are not required.
    Just my 2 worth.

  5. #5
    In the Trades Bob NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lahabra View Post
    I herd that arc fault requirements are going to be expanded soon.
    The 2008 code requires AFCI protection for ALL new 120 Volt circuits in residences. You should pull your permit before the 2008 applies in your jurisdiction to avoid that expensive stupidity.

    Existing circuits usually don't fall under the new code.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
    The 2008 code requires AFCI protection for ALL new 120 Volt circuits in residences. You should pull your permit before the 2008 applies in your jurisdiction to avoid that expensive stupidity.

    Existing circuits usually don't fall under the new code.
    Not quite. Only 15- and 20-amp circuits, and only those suppyling "family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreational rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas..."

    Note that garages, laundry rooms, kitchens, baths, basements, crawlspaces, and exterior outlets are missing from that list.

    2008 NEC 210.12(B).
    Just my 2 worth.

  7. #7
    DIY Member lahabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    50

    Smile Smoke detectors,

    Since hard wired smoke detectors and lights are in bedrooms, will they also need ARC fault protection?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lahabra View Post
    Since hard wired smoke detectors and lights are in bedrooms, will they also need ARC fault protection?
    Yes, smoke detectors fall within the NEC definition of an outlet.
    Just my 2 worth.

  9. #9
    DIY Member lahabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    50

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
    You should pull your permit before the 2008 applies.
    I already have my permit. I am under the impression that my job must be in compliance with current codes on the date it is inspected, regardless of when the permit was issued.

  10. #10
    Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NY State, USA
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lahabra View Post
    I already have my permit. I am under the impression that my job must be in compliance with current codes on the date it is inspected, regardless of when the permit was issued.
    How could that possibly be?
    What if you get a rough-in on 12/27/07 and a finish inspection on 1/27/08? Are you suggesting they would use the '08 code for the final???

  11. #11

    Default

    When (if they do) are they going to adopt the '08 in your area?.... that's the critical point you need to find out. Many places don't adopt the '08 automatically on Jan. 1, 2008. Some places may take two or three years to begin enforcing it.
    Just my 2 worth.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •