pressure switch chatter at cut in

Users who are viewing this thread

lofty

Reaction score
I replaced the original pressure switch on my gould pump with a d-square 30/50 and have had problems with the pressure switch chattering off and on at cut-in. Bladder tank is about 6 to 7 feet from pump and pressure switch is on pump. Tank pressure is about 1 to 2 psi below cut in pressure of 30. Would it help to lengthen the tube from the pressure switch which is about 12 inches. If I coiled about 2 feet of tube would it help level out the pressure differential the switch is seeing. There is no check valve on the tank.

Any thoughts other than moving the switch to the tank which would require a good bit of work. Never had this problem with the original gould pressure switch.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
2 questions

How did you check the tank pressure?

Did you clean out the 1/4" nipple that the switch attatches to?

lofty

Reaction score
I checked pressure in tank with two different tire gages. I pulled the tube out of both ends and checked the tube which was clean all the way. I could see though it. I checked nipples and were clear. I changed to a different brand of pressure switch but got same results.

lofty

Reaction score
pressure switch chatter at cut in (problem solved)

In stead of moving the pressure switch closer to the tank (10 feet away) I was able to solve the problem by adding a couple of loops (about 3 feet) of small copper tubing between the pressure switch and discharge line. This did away with the initial pressure surge causing the chatter. May not need three feet of tubing but that is what I had left over from the tubing I had used for my ice maker on my fridge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks