Bad / Cracked Toilet???

Users who are viewing this thread

Steveg91

Reaction score
Hi folks, my friend's got an Eljer toilet, about a year ago it was leaking; liquid/ odor coming out at floor, I went over and removed it, discovered there was a full inch between top of closet flange and finished floor. I installed four 1/4" flange extenders being very care full to silicone them and screw them down to the subfloor, used wax ring properly, all in all I believe I did a real good job. It seemed fixed, no more leak or odor. Now, it's leaking at the front base of toilet. They don't use a plunger, the pipes aren't plugged up. So I'm thinking the toilet's bad/cracked??? Given the symptoms, does that sound likely??? How can I determine if the toilet is indeed bad????

Thanks so much.....
Steve

Construct30

Reaction score
You can usually see a crack in the bottom, not always. I will get knocked for asking, but did you use a wax ring with a tail piece? Many guys say they will make a toilet leak, I always use one when I add the extenders, many of the guys hate them and I'm sure will post against what I said. I knew a guy that dumped some red dye in his toilet and flushed and and picked it up right after, he said you could tell where the leak was coming from. Have you read the wax ring question thread?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can pull the toilet, that's really the only way.
It's not repairable from the outside.

I've seen Eljer Titans blow out the wax when flushing. I fixed it with a Fluidmaster waxless seal. With the wax, it was just dumping water into the crawlspace.

Steveg91

Reaction score
Thanks. I like the dye idea, 'cept its a wood floor.......... I used a ring with with a tailpiece. I did just now read the wax ring question thread. Thanks.
?? How can a tailpiece cause a problem??
Maybe I'll try a waxless, always been suspicious of em but, if Mr. Love will use em.......
??Terry, do you always use em, or just in certain situations??
?? When I remove the toilet, what, just look closely for cracks; or how do I proceed to determine if it's a bad toilet??

Thanks again,

Steve

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are some Eljer toilets that have a plastic restrictor flange glued onto the bottom with an adhesive similar to auto trim or, windshield adhesive. If this is one of those toilets you will never get it to seal. I would get the numbers off the toilet and give Eljer a call just to make sure. If it is one you will only get the replacement part from Eljer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been able to stack wax and have it work out okay.
If it's Eljer, then I don't trust the wax, and would go with the waxless.
The waxless by fluidmaster would be pushed onto the bowl, and then the bowl dropped into the hole.

If it's wax, the wax goes on the flange, and then the bowl drops down.

In other words, in the real world, take the instructions and reverse em.
That's what plumbers do.

Steveg91

Reaction score
So, if the toilet is cracked and it gets replaced, do I
A. use a waxless, or
B. replace and raise the closet flange?, and if so how? The condo is on the second floor. Soil stack is ABS. It seems I would use an inside pipe cutter, glue a union-longer pipe / fill in 1" of floor with something, install new closet flange.
Are these ideras in the ballpark???????

Thanks again
Steve

Construct30

Reaction score
In my opinion: I would use the extenders and a wax ring with tail piece or Terry's waxless ring if your sure the extenders are sealed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks