(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wiring 2 way switch

Quote Originally Posted by construct30 View Post
    I try sarcasm all the time and get in trouble because of the people that read and think you are serious. Sorry, no offense intended, just instruction for less informed.

No way of knowing who is serious or not.
    Try adding emoticons

They can make the difference between knowing who is kidding (), is mad (), etc.
    Just my 2 worth.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

that is some kind of bell or thermostat wire
    HOW do you know???

Construct, you are doing a LOT of guessing.

I'll ask again. Do you know what type of wiring they use in Europe/Asia???
    If not then DON'T guess.

Who said ANYTHING about BX romex or thhn??? I'm almost sure they don't use that over there, but I won't guess and make replies that may cause more trouble than good.

I try sarcasm all the time
    Maybe if my writing skills were better my wit would come across, no problem.

And once again Sparky is one up on me in knowing how to show possible wit.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    HOW do you know???

Construct, you are doing a LOT of guessing.

I'll ask again. Do you know what type of wiring they use in Europe/Asia???
    If not then DON'T guess.
    Who's guessing, I took the info given, the wire running on the surface of a wall that looks like some sort of bell wire or zip cord and a plastic switch with no box visible, looks to me to be unsafe in any country or world. Caution dictates to have a local QUALIFIED person look at the situation.

No I am NOT qualified to wire a house, switch, or dog house in lebanon, the country, but I know from a picture when something looks not so good.

Speedy Petey, do you know how many fires are caused by unqualified people running extension cords and other type wire on the surface? Me either, but I know most codes say it is a bad idea.

The ICC has a book called "The INTERNATIONAL Residential Building Code" I guess one could take from that, that electricity acts the same and follows the same natural laws no matter what part of the world you live in.

In a case like this I wish the original poster would get back and tell us more about it.

SP are you saying where you live it is OK to run unprotected wire on the surface and install a switch without a box, in a bedroom?

If you want to do that, they make pre wired lamps with switches on the cord you can plug in, even with wireless remotes.
    Last edited by construct30; 12-24-2007 at 12:48 PM.

SP are you saying where you live it is OK to run unprotected wire on the surface and install a switch without a box, in a bedroom?
    NO. I never even alluded to that in the slightest. Don't put words in my mouth.

I was merely making the point that you are guessing a quite a lot of things that you are not at all familiar with.
    How do you know that wiring method is not completely typical in Lebanon? Why don't you run over there and show them the "proper" way to wire according to the IBC.

zajnbou, post back and let us know the story!

Angry

How do you know this is low-voltage wire????
    The OP is in LEBANON!!! The country, NOT Lebanon Pa.
    Have you seen the type of wire they use there? I haven't. Maybe that is standard issue wire.
    You know originally I did not say it was low voltage wire, someone else did. Once you jumped on me about it, I looked at the blown up picture and agreed. Everyone could take your route on this forum and there would be no forum, I gave no bad advice just information. I could have said it doesn't matter hook it up, but I didn't. That would be bad advice. Instead I gave information based on the little that we know and can see. I can go to any question asked on this forum by a DIYer and say we can't help you go away, many choose to try to give information. I try really hard to not give advice that would put someone in danger, if/when I do I'm glad that there are others here that will catch it and when that happens I will back down and admit I was wrong. In this case urging caution was in my opinion the correct thing to do. IF it is the correct wire and switch then buy a box and some conduit and run it properly. If you want a temporary switch system on a lamp then buy a ready made lamp with a remote set of switches.
    Last edited by construct30; 12-24-2007 at 01:14 PM.

I can go to any question asked on this forum by a DIYer and say we can't help you go away, many choose to try to give information.
    If you knew me you'd know I do not typically do that, NOR did I do that in this case.
    What I did do is say the OP is in a VERY foreign country and I have NO clue what they are working with, NOR do most of us. This is a North American based site with pretty much every one of us knowing only North American systems.

If you've ever been in another country, or have seen some of the electrical systems outside the US, Canada and much of Europe, you'd know many times codes and safe practices have very little value.

If anyone know how Lebanese electrical systems work and what the possible local codes are PLEASE speak up!

If you've ever been in another country, or have seen some of the electrical systems outside the US, Canada and much of Europe, you'd know many times codes and safe practices have very little value.

If anyone know how Lebanese electrical systems work and what the possible local codes are PLEASE speak up!
    I didn't say it was against Lebanese electrical codes, Did I? It is wrong according to the 2006 INTERNATIONAL Residential Building Code. I'm sorry you think that every country other than ours is backward, I don't agree. Parts of our country are not up to code, but that doesn't make it right. I've seen pictures of some pretty nice, beautiful high rise buildings in Lebanon, they are equal or better than ours. Watch Discovery channel once and a while. I love talking to people from other parts of the world in these forums the more the merrier. I do agree with you, many building practices are different,that happens even with in our own country or sometimes a state.

I'm sorry if I some how insulted you, but insulting the rest of the world with your comment about safe practices having no value... insert angry imocon thingy here.
    Most people place "value on safe practices" no matter where they live.

I did study a Vulcan wiring diagram for a star ship once, I couldn't figure out the Klingon one though, it made no sense what so ever. Does that count.

I can keep this up a long long time.
    Last edited by construct30; 12-24-2007 at 02:29 PM.

He must have gotten bored with me, I was just keeping myself amused.

No hard feelings I hope.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a GOOD NIGHT.

I'm sorry you think that every country other than ours is backward, I don't agree.
    I DID NOT say that. Not at all.
    Once again, you are trying to put words in my mouth and make it look like I am conveying a different message than I am. Sorry, this will NOT work with me.

Again, if you knew me you'd know I can go on as long as anyone. Probably too long in most people's opinions. I acknowledge this so I will end this for now. I have presents to wrap and "A Christmas Story" to watch.

Good night and good luck!

Merry Christmas!

I read all your past posts and I know you enjoy a good discussion as much as I do. Like nine pages of posts I'm impressed.

Sorry you have to go. Later.

Merry Christmas.

I haven't been in the Middle East but I have been in Latin America. Electrical systems in those areas are highly variable, depending on the economic situation of the owner.

The CODE in those areas is simply: Do anything that gets the power to where you need it.

A conductor may be anything that conducts electricity. An insulator may be anything that keeps two conductors from touching where it would cause a problem. A junction box may be a metal or plastic container that once contained soup, or it may be the air space within 2" of where some wires are spliced. A "service" may consist of a couple of #12 or #14 wrapped around the wires of a utility and run to a 2x4 attached to a building before running through a hole in the wall.

One of the more "modern" installation that I saw was a swimming pool filter system where the 240 Volt pumps were connected to standard 15 Amp/120 Volt duplex receptacles that had been wired to 240 Volts. One of the maintenance people complained that his 120 Volt drill had failed after a short time plugged into such a receptacle.

People who want to operate a light bulb or a color TV set will do whatever it takes to get the power to it and will determine by experience what will do that job.

So operating a light with some kind of switch that may have come out of a washing machine, over conductors that may have begun their life as communication wire, will be tried; and if it works it will be done again and again.

There are people in those areas who have become "expert" at such things and they are the professionals in such areas. They may acquire a meter somewhere along the way.

I saw a welder on a site who had a 225 Amp AC "Buzz Box" welder that was supplied by 80 ft leads stripped out of a piece of #12 Romex that he had acquired somewhere. There was no ground and the ends had a pair of clamps that could be connected to any convenient pair of wires on either side of the meter.

If I may "guess" or assume, if someone posts on the forum they have a more modern lifestyle. He might have done it from work, but Lebanon is an advanced culture, war sucks, but their cities are beautiful and modern.

Granted we would all do what ever was necessary in certain situations, most of us can only imagine, if we wanted to.

Now you all make me wonder.