Non-standpipe washer drain

Users who are viewing this thread

blackbird

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just bought a front-load washer but am not sure if the drain I have will work for it. The installation instruction asks for a standpipe but the one I have is, as shown below, horizontal with a trap.
drain%20002.JPG

This is in the basement of a condominium that is built in the '40s. Two plumbers stopped by to look at it today and the first guy said it is absolutely okay to just connect the drain hose to the drain with clamps on each side. The second plumber said it would be okay to run it couple of times but I would have to install a standpipe if I didn't want to ruin the motor. He said he will ignore the existing drain and install a standpipe through the clean-up. I might have said some terms wrong here but hopefully you guys understand! Anyways, the quote was quite expensive and if you guys could give me suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In the left side of the picture appears to be a check valve. What's up with that? The pipe coming through the wall and down to the trap...where is that coming from? Where in this picture are you proposing to attach the washer?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Geez this looks so familiar... Another forum perhaps... Same answer.

How about they're both wrong!
The first is wrong because you do indeed need a standpipe.
The second is wrong because he is going to eliminate your cleanout.
Just today I did a job where a hack eliminated the full size cleanout to install a laundry line.
This left us with a 2" cleanout to clean a clogged 4" pipe.
The visit from the jetter was a lot more than snaking through the full size cleanout would have been.

Connecticut Handyman Plumbing at its best!

blackbird

Reaction score
Suggestions?

I thought the pipe shown below was where I was supposed to connect my washer drain.
drain%20009%20copy.jpg

(The pipe connected to the wall seems to be from my neighbor's. I don't know if it is just connected or if we share the drain though. I definitely hear water flowing there when my neighbor is doing laundry.)

If this is not going to work and building a standpipe through the cleanout will not work either, what are my options?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
IMHO, connecting the washer to the barbed fitting on the left is not really an option. I think we need a bigger picture to see what options might be available -- we can't see where the cleanout is, etc. It's likely you'll have to do some major surgery on that cast iron plumbing tree to put in a proper standpipe, and yes, it will be expensive. In the process, you might be able to clean up the plumbing mess serving your neighbor as well, so he might be willing to share the cost somewhat, although he undoubtedly won't see any benefit if he's not having any problems.

blackbird

Reaction score
More pictures

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I will have to find a good plumber to do the right job. If it needs to be done to use the washer properly, I am willing to spend the money for it. I just want to make sure 1) it's the best long-term solution and will not affect my neighbors and 2) I'm paying the right price for it.

For #2, I will try my best by talking to the right people. Your insight provided will help me if I am getting at #1 or not.

Here are some more pictures.

Ceiling:
drain%20003.JPG

The lower black pipe seems to be the drain for the kitchen sink.

Floor:
drain%20002.JPG

The picture got cut-off a little at the bottom but the cleanout is visible in this one.

Thanks in advance!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'll let the guys who know what they're doing go into detail, but after seeing the "Floor" picture, it looks to me that it'll be a lot easier than I had first thought. Merry Christmas...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks