According to my hand book the minimum pipe size required to vent a toilet is:

1.5â€

Or

2†as a wet vent for a sink.

Am I understanding this correct?

lahabra

Reaction score
Wet vent

Ok so I need at least a 2†vent for my toilet.

Can I also drain my sink into the same 2†pipe?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With newer toilets that flush faster, you would want at least 2" on the vent.

In some places you can wet vent a bathroom lav over a toilet, if that line is 2" or larger.
A kitchen sink could not be wet vented.

dwv_b1.jpg

lahabra

Reaction score
I still don't know what code you're using, .

The book I am reading is a general construction book it covers everything from grading to roofing. The book dose not tell me specifically what size vent I will need for a toilet; however, it dose have tables soused from: "UBC Illustrated training manual (Walnut, calif: International association of plumbing and mechanical Officials 1985)."

In one table I read that a private toilet counts for 4 fixture units. The next table shows 1.5" pipe being capable of venting 8 fixture units. Based on these two tables it appeared that 1.5" pipe could actually vent 2 toilets.

In the houses I have worked on I always see 2" vent pipes for toilets, add to that your reaction and the fact that I don’t want to get into a challenge with my inspector, I am definitely not going to install a 1.5†vent on my toilet.

lahabra

Reaction score
acording to UPC 2006

Thank you for the diagram Terry!

In some places you can wet vent a bathroom lav over a toilet, if that line is 2" or larger.

So It is ok to use a 2" pipe as a wet vent for a toilet and a bathroom lav. Would this setup be in compliance with: "UPC 2006"?

It has been my experience that most cities in the LA basin don't make up plumbing codes; instead they simply adopt "UPC". But I will need to confirm it in my particular city.

Last edited by a moderator:

Construct30

Reaction score
I have the third edition of the code check plumbing for 2006, the little flip job books, it says the IRC does not require a vent on a water closet for residential. What's up with that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks