Flange fittings for replacing an older toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

ejmiami

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm replacing my 50+ year old original toilet with a new EcoDrake model. There is no center bolt on this old toilet. Can anyone make some guesses about what issues I might face once the toilet is removed ? There is an old iron waste pipe (the house is up off the ground - pier and beam) below that was in good shape last time I had someone look.

I can hire a plumber if need be, however the handyman is going to do a lot of work on the house in the next month - so it seemed easier to have him include it on his list.

I've attached an image of the bottom of the present "Standard" toilet.

thanks,
Liz, Miami, Fl

Attachments

• toilet_bolts.jpg
    toilet_bolts.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 226

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's the back set of bolts on the bowl.
That should be centered on the drain.
The Eco Drake will need 11-1/4" from the finished wall to fit.
If the drain is 4", you have some wiggle room.

Did they glue the bowl down?

ejmiami

Reaction score
Terry,

Yes, the bolt hole closest to the wall is exactly 11 1/4", so it should just fit. I have no idea if they glued the toilet down. Unfortunately, this is a one bathroom house.

I was wondering about the 11 1/4" measurement to the back bolt and knew I might need a different rough-in than the standard 12" - so hopefully the EcoDrake will fit. The plumbers I spoke to over the phone didn't want to come look for a fee - they just wanted me to hire them to do the job and none had any idea what I was talking about when I told them the 11 1/4" measurement to the back bolt.

I guess it is time to hire a plumber. There is just too much that could go wrong and I really rather not stay in a hotel for a week because replacement parts are "on order".

Thanks much for the reply.

Liz, Miami, Fl

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Liz
I bet the reason the bolt holes are 11-1/4" from the wall is that the plumber who roughed in the waste line didn't know that there was to be a tiled wall behind the WC.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
11 1/4"

What do you mean the "plumbers didn't know what I was talking about"? If that is the case,;
1. They are not plumbers, and
2. You do not want them anywhere near your plumbing, and
3. You never want them working on a time and material basis.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks