Shower drain sits above the base

Users who are viewing this thread

Keithdeanne

Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently bought a two year old home, thinking I would have less problems with it than my last home that was 59years old.
Well, first time I tried to use the shower in the master bathroom I noticed that the show drain sits above the shower pan by almost an 1/8th of an inch.
I asked my neighbors if their shower was the same and they said yep it's the same.. well I don't believe it's correct.

I have lots of issues with this shower. How can someone build a shower with such a low threshold and not install a shower door on it?

Here are a few photos... sorry they are a bit blurry but I would like to know what I can do about it? I haven't been able to unscrew it but then again I really haven't tried.

Can the pipe be cut from the inside in order to reset the drain flush?
Is there possibly an adjustment? A rubber gasket that can be removed and replaced with plumbers puddy in order to get it to seat correctly to the drain
Apparently the builder just used silicone on the drain... Now that to me is just stupid because it just alows the water to puddle and creates a location for the drain to leak from.
I have one last question.
I would love to put shower door(s) on this shower but I am not sure what size to look for?
The shower curtain just isn't working for me a slight movement to the curtain and it alows water to leak out on to the floor.
the opening is 43 3/4"
Photos:

Last edited by a moderator:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
It looks as if someone really screwed up the drain installation. In fact, it appears that the rubber washer that is supposed to be beneath the shower floor is just under the drain flange. The way it bulges tells me that someone forced it into place, perhaps on a pipe that was too long.

Is there a basement access to this drain, or is it on a concrete floor?

Since the drain appears to be a glue-in type, you cannot cut the pipe from inside the shower. The entire drain needs to be replaced. Obviously, if the floor is concrete, the shower would have to be removed from the wall to do it properly - and a brass drain with a compression seal would be a much better choice.

This is the type of job I see constantly being done by homeowners and amateurs. I hope it wasn't done by a plumber.

Kinkead makes a good shower door in a variety of finishes and types of glass. Should be installed by someone with experience.

Keithdeanne

Reaction score
I thought the same thing... and i am just the homeowner.
I bought this house a few months ago. The home is 2years old and i can only assume that a plumber or the builder did this shoddy work.
This bathroom is located on the second floor of the home. So i guess the ceiling from below and the shower stall will have to be removed to do the proper install?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
It would probably be easier to remove the ceiling than to remove the entire unit. When installing on an upstairs floor, I usually use a glue-in strainer, too. (Less likelihood of leaks than a mechanical seal) But if I were installing on an upstairs floor, I'd usually have the shower unit in first, then plumb the drain, so there shouldn't be any bulge. If, as it appears, the rubber washer is above the shower floor, then whoever did the work did not understand what they were doing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With a fiberglass shower, the drain drops in, with Silicone as a sealant, then on the bottom of the shower, the rubber washer, the friction washer, then the nut.

I'm always removing shower drains that have been installed with Plumbers Putty.
The putty dries out, and the drain leaks.

http://www.oatey.com/products/drains-and-closet-flanges

With your inside measurement taken, it should be easy to find a shower door at a local hardware store.
Most come with some adjustment range.
Sometimes with fiberglass showers, you have to trim at the corners for the sides to fit.

Last edited:

Keithdeanne

Reaction score
Ok, going with everyones advice here I, cut open the ceiling from below the shower. cut out the old drain and I am ready to install the new drain.
From what terry has suggested I will glue on the new base to the existing plumbing.

Then slip the rubberwasher and the friction/felt washer between the shower base and the new shower flange.

All of this will take place below the shower.

Then I will place a bead of silicone on the underside of the new lip of the shower strainer. Slip that in to the new shower flange and tighten down.

CORRECT?

When i took out the old strainer I did notice that there was silicone and the rubber washer under the strainer's lip. I also noticed that the main drain was too long not alowing the drain to seat to the shower floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks