Install garbage disposal in double sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Homey6660

Reaction score
I am installing a garbage disposal (1/2 hp, Insinkerator Badger 5) under a double-sink. I would like some help determining how to plumb the sinks/dispoal (no dishwasher). I have a picture if someone offers to help off-line.

Right now, the discharge hole/port from the disposal would line up with the horizontal pipe that leads to a t-coupling (conntecting the drains from the two sinks), then down to a p trap and up to the waste pipe. Ideally, I'd be able to just cut that horizontal pipe (meaning, cut a new horizontal pipe) and connect it without making any vertical changes in the piping (I've probalby lost you by now). But, the instructions say I should have separate drain traps for each side. And, the disposal comes with a "discharge tube" that comes out and goes 90 degrees south. If I had to put on that discharge tube, it means a lot more re-configuration, as I'd have to either have those separate traps leading to the waste pipe. And, I wouldn't even know how to set that up.

Anyhow, that's enough rambline b/c I'll only confuse us more. Is anyone aware of some basic double sink garbage disposal installation instructions? Can anyone help out with my specific situation? Drawings?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

You can use two p-traps, or pick up a "disposer kit" with a baffle tee that goes straight out from the disposal.

sink_dw_hot.jpg

disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

sink-replacement-terrylove-3.jpg

Last edited:

Homey6660

Reaction score
f/up

I saw that diagram and thought it was helpful. The problem is that the disposal I have says that I should use separate drain traps for both sides. Why would you think that is required?

Also, I'm not sure what I'd do with that discharge hole -- not sure if the discharge tube they provide is specially fitted/seated such that the horizontal piping won't fit there. I have a link to the instructions here:

Last edited by a moderator:

Homey6660

Reaction score
trouble with "flange" and "drain" (if I have the terms correct)

Installing a garbage disposal. Got all the pipes off (I'm replacing corroded pipes down there, too). Problem is, the "drain" (basically, the first part that connects to the pvc below the sink) won't separate from the "flange" (the part that lays on top of the sink. Not sure if I have the terminology correct. I know some are screw mounted, but this one is threaded and just completely stuck. The flange and the drain turn as one.

Any advice?

King3244

Reaction score
Pair of plyers upside down, stick handles down into drain from sink side to hold that part, then turn pvc/abs part underneath.

Derek

Reaction score
InSinkErator's preference for 2 drain traps

The InSinkErator instructions call for 2 traps on item 4, step 11, middle of page 5 in the PDF. ("If you have a double sink, use separate drain traps for both sides.") This is true for both the one-bolt and two-bolt discharge tube installation.

I'm also told (by a How-To brochure on disposers I picked up a Lowe's yesterday) that many local communities require two drain traps by code.

I am about to replace my old disposer with a new one and I can't imagine adding a second trap. Major hassle since cutting in my kitchen wall would be required, rather than a quick 30 minute swap.

Any thoughts on why InSinkErator and some local codes suggest it?

Thanks much,
Derek (plumbing Newbie who did a toilet last weekend)

Terry said:
Where does it say that on the pdf?

I see where it mentions that they prefer the turned down pipe, but that you can use a straight pipe out of the disposal. 11-2

Insinkerator is mainly what I install.
Many sinks have two bowls, it's not uncommon.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
makes sense to me...

FWIW, my thinking on this subject. Two traps isolate everything. Isolating the two is a bit more hygienic, sanitary. No loss except a bit more time installing.

Isolates noise too. Do disposers make noise on the drain side? Does it come up through the other sink's drain hole? Is this a problem for anyone?

I know my 25 year old dishwasher makes a ton of noise, and I would love to have two traps, but for a dishwasher that is hard to arrange since it needs air too, so I would have to make a tall standpipe for it, if I kept it (which I won't). I have been saying "I don't get it" for years, since I believe lowering appliance noise levels is a prime objective in quality installations.

Since I'm planning a new kitchen, I'd like to figure it out. Isn't noise a concern?

david

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbing codes don't allow two traps on one trap arm.
To have two traps, you would need two trap arms, each one properly vented.
I don't know of very many sinks that have been plumbed that way.
Most only have a single trap arm roughed in.
A cross fitting in the wall would work, if the waste and vent were vertical.
If you has a trap arm coming from the side, that you can't add the second trap.

disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
two arms = reduced noise?

i know the second trap can't go after the first one, and that probably explains why almost nobody ever installs two trap arms.

so the dumb question is whether or not there IS a gain in doing it, even if the gain is only in terms of reducing noise.

david

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
IF it says you need two traps, then the instructions were written by some engineer who had absolutely no idea about how to do it. The standard disposer, (not Disposal continuous waste is all you need.

What he is trying to overcome (I believe) is the restriction in the outlet tee.

EndOutletTee.jpg

If one was to not use the trap @ the disposal and tee the discharge in above the other sink trap with a tee with no baffle (and 45 degree offset so as not to introduce flow into the second bowl), would this be OK? Or if one installed the trap w/o baffle @ the disposal and tee'd the second bowl into (above) that trap, would it muster?

No dishwasher on application, but would one make a difference?

Just trying to think of a clean way to plumb undersink to allow maximum storage space. What do you think?

THANX!

James1111

Reaction score
I'm in a conundrum of sorts with this drain configuration. The Badger 5 comes with a downward discharge tube, which would then run into an elbow and over to the other sink drain (I've included google picture I found for reference). The picture posted here of Terry's shows the discharge tube coming straight out across to the other sink drain. What are the pros and cons to each way? Does the discharge elbow allow better drainage for less corrosion, or does it not matter. The plumber who plumbed the house when new did it the "straight out across" way. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Elbow-Discharge.jpg

Straight Out Discharge.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons to each way? Does the discharge elbow allow better drainage for less corrosion, or does it not matter.
Why do you ask? Are you having a problem with your current installation?

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much!
Maybe post photos of your sink and drain. The first picture you posted does not look so good to me. The horizontal pipe does not look like it is higher than the trap adapter. You should be looking at what will match your situation, right?

If you have not yet bought the Badger, consider upgrading to Evolution.

Straight does not go down, so if your trap adapter is not low, that could be good. I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

James1111

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback, but didn't want this to be over thought. My current Badger 1 is nearly 20 years old and doing the typical rusted through and leaking through the motor housing out the bottom. My setup is "picture b", discharging straight out and across. Before I replace it with a Badger 5 (I know, just as cheap, but I can't afford any more), should I just replace it and discharge straight out across again, or should I put more work in it with the two elbows as shown in "picture a". I didn't know if the two elbows setup would have advantages over the straight out across setup or if there's no benefit of one over the other. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks