Storage Tank for well

Users who are viewing this thread

dtbmous

Reaction score
I posted a question about my well awhile back concerning my pump not building pressure. After talking to well driller, he told me that the pump I have, being set at 450 feet, it will only produce about 40 psi or 2 gallons a minute. I have adjusted my shutoff switch so that my pump comes on at 40 psi and shuts off at 20psi. I did notice that when the pressure gets down to about 30 psi, that the gage jumps around and then in drops to 20psi where the pump then kicks on. I assume this is because of improper pressure in the actual tank. It has about 30 psi.. My question is this. The well driller told me if I want high pressure the the 20-40psi setting, that I would either need an industrial size pump set at 800 feet deep with galvinized pipe, or a 200 - 300 gallon storage tank into which the well pump would fill using a float valve to turn it on and off, and then a small pump of sorts to fill my pressure tank. The well drill has recommended this last method because of cost and ease of futrue maintance. If this is the best way to go, is it something that I can do myself, and if so what would I need and where could I get the supplies? Thanks

Wondering

Reaction score
If you are running a 20/40 pressure switch then your air charge in the tank should be 18psi instead of 30.

Speedbump

Reaction score
20/40 is kind of low for household usage these days. If the pump can't make more than 40, your switch should be set a few pounds lower for safety.

If you want to go with the cystern, which I would recommend, you first have to find the tank and figure out where you are going to put it. It can't freeze and if it has to be inside, it must fit through the door. Bigger is better with a low flow well.

I can supply the other equipment if needed. I recommend a submersible over a jet pump if you can get it in the tank. There are other items you would need, but it's not that hard to hook up with a little instruction.

bob...

dtbmous

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Does anyone know where is the best place to get a tank for a cystern? Does it have to be made out of any special material for drinking water, or will any water tank work? I live in Maine and my house is built on ledge so most likely my only option is for an indoor tank. I do have a 36 inch door into my walk in basement.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know of anyone off hand, but I'm sure someone here does. I think Rancher gave out some links to places that sell tanks.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have bought a lot of tanks from Portland Plastic Pipe 207-774-0364. The have the best prices in the Maine area. If you don't need it instantly they will probably get you one on their next shipment. They advertise as wholesale but they are very informal and if you are paying cash they never ask any questions. They may even take credit cards now.

Call them and they will tell you the sizes available. You want a vertical tank. You should be able to get a 200 gallon tank into your basement.

The tanks are polyethylene.

R

Rancher

I bought a 3,000 gallon tank from US plastics about 15 years ago, I've bought all my other tanks locally from farm and ranch supply store. Try them first because the shipping costs are as much as the tank.

Rancher

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
At two gallons a minute from the well and xx gallons stored, how long will your worst case water use take to empty the tank. You might want to do a quick check of your usage and how big XX needs to be.

If you can't find a plastic one that you like and fits through the door, you can make one out of concrete. Probably want to line it when you are finished.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks