Bye Bye Thomas Edison!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Law signed by Bush yesterday requires phase out of all incandescent light bulbs starting in 2012.

We were already on that road, this will speed it up.

Here is my curmudgeon take on the situation: It will cost consumers a lot more than the government lets on. They talk about a couple of bucks per bulb. Well, if you want to actually be able to SEE, then you will need 18 watts, or 23 watts, and these are much more expensive. Also, the 13 watt bulbs that HD, Costco, Walmart are selling for 10 bucks a six pack, are ....drum roll please.........made in China! They typically do not last the advertised 10,000 hours. Also, all those new fixtures are made in China, and we know their track record on electrical stuff like ballasts. The ballast croaks before the bulb goes out!

Here's what you have to do if you break a bulb:
http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeowner/fluorescent.htm

or this: http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeowner/pdf/prospecthistory.pdf

Anyway, the CFL era is here to stay!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'll be the first to return them when they don't live up to expectations.

Just like all those batteries they sell in those huge packs that only last a 1/3 of the time.

Both products are wasteful even though the masses follow the trends like water down a river.

Those pig curly flourescents aren't what they're cracked up to be with proper lighting. Takes more in a basement to offer the lighting you need.

Accent lighting of the yellowish warm glow we all remember from years past? Chaulk it up to a memory.

There are some of us that can afford to leave the lights burning 24 hours a day and not counting kilowatts as hobby. Global warming starts in AL GORE's Mansion.........check his monthly electrical charges for proof.

My ice is melting in my McDonald's cup......must be global warming.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yeah there is more to consider that just the lack of light. There is also the fact that florescent lighting changes the color of things. I've had to return florescent lights because the paint on the wall no longer looks brown, but pinky salmon colored. There are other issue that I have but the change is going to be tough.

Tom

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
It's important that we look at all the factors when buying things so that we can minimize our total impact on the planet.

Compact florescent bulbs are on average a wash in terms of saving total resources since they save a lot of coal emissions during there life.

But... Not all lights are created equal!

GE makes the least efficient florescent light that is still on the market!

The "warm bright stick"

It uses 34 watts of energy to create only 725 lumens (light output)

For comparison a "60W" equivalent Compact florescent uses only 15 watts to produce 950 lumens (luminous flux or light output)

The reason it is so inefficient is that it uses a "resistive" ballast (Two resistive wires in the back molded piece)

It also uses a T12 bulb.

--
I've also determined that it could be a fire hazard as parts of the one I had charred the plastic base. :eek:

So for only 1/2 the power of an equivalent incandescent bulb you get...
1. Mercury and disposal issues.
2. Higher price.
3. Possible fire hazard.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My mother grew up in the Great Depression.
When I went over last, the main bathroom has been switched to florescent light.
There was a loud buzzing, and I could barely see in the dark.

I've used florescent light for outside lighting and in the garage.
You can get brighter lighting fixtures, I've gone with the bright ones for those locations. They light up real well.
My work light, which I can no longer find anymore at the hardware store, uses a flat florescent light that throws out a lot of light, and uses almost no power. I can lay my check on the lighting surface, and it's only a little warm.
Don't try that with Halogen lights. You will wind up with a brand.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We can keep this thread hot well into the new year!. Popular Mechanics did a work up and concluded that because of the mercury released in a coal power plant, the CFL actually results in less mercury.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/home_journal_news/4217864.html

I think we are going to see LED be almost a complete replacement for incandescent, but a few more years down the road, after everyone has spent a fortune on new ballasted fixtures!

The light color temperature is a whole subject in iteself. All the cheapies tend to be warm white, which is 2700ºK. These bulbs are available in 3000, 3500,4100{cool white}, 5000, and 6500º. The higher the number, the more expensive the bulb is. Also, less expensive bulbs will have a low CRI number ( color rendition index). Better bulbs will be 82 or above CRI, and naturally cost more!

Mort

Reaction score
I got some from HD about six months ago and they've worked out really well (so far). I replaced six, sixty watt clear bulbs over my wifes vanity with six 15watt bright white CF's (name started with an N IIRC) and it's like daytime. My wife no longer uses her lighted makeup mirror as these are so much better light. When the Mrs is happy, all is good.

Has it made any difference on my electrical usage? Who knows? Put them in all three baths and the enclosed hall lighting and don't notice any difference in necessary light output. Much better than the products I tried several years ago.

Mort

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
My power company sells fluorescent fixtures and bulbs at lower prices than you can get them for at the stores. http://www.energyfederation.org/estarlights/default.php Over the past 3 years I have replaced most incandescents with CF bulbs and a few fixtures that contain their own ballasts. I have had to replace two bulbs in that time and I'm sure the cost was less than the incandescents would have cost. They also save on A/C cost during that season.

I tend to buy larger bulbs than the stated "equivalents". The only difference is that most require a minute or so to warm up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the lights in my house are on dimmers. Few of the CFL are dimmable (but there are some, they just don't have the range of an incandescent). I find I rarely need the full brightness, but it is nice when you do. Hopefully, by then, they'll have affordable LED bulbs, or something else. I have one CFL in a lamp in the living room that is probably 10-years old and is on through each evening on a timer. I have a replacement, but haven't needed it...still waiting.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A chandelier full of fluorescent bulbs will look kinda funny.

burin

Reaction score
warmup

Yea, I've got round 3" with the small base for my kitchen fixture. They look as nice as regular frosted incandescents. My only big beef is the warmup time of the bulbs. It seems they start at about 20%, and then take about 2-3 minutes to get to full brightness. This is only a problem with the ones I most recently bought. Bought some about 2 1/2 years ago, and while they do have a warmup, cold on os about 80% bright.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Starting in 2012? That's okay. By the time it's an issue, the LED lights will be ready for prime-time. Already coming in pretty strong, NYC is changing over all the bridge & tunnel lights to LED soon.

Chel_in_IL

Reaction score
I've always hated CFLs. But, I gave in and bought eight 100-watt equivalent lights and used them in my utility room, outside porch light, and a couple of lights in my living room. I had an LED flood in the porch light, which worked fine for the past 6 months but then most of the LEDs stopped working. It wasn't as bright as the new fluorescent, and I'm surprised it didn't last very long. (It was from the online auction place.)

I don't care for how long they take to "warm up," but when they do, they provide a good amount of light.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I've been using a lot of fluorescent bulbs. Generally, I like them. But one failed a few days ago - certainly not 6 years - not even one year. It started smoking and got quite nasty and the smell lingered for a long time. The glass was undisturbed. At least when an incandescent blows, it doesn't stink up the entire house.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
RF Quiet Zone?

I was watching a TV program on the RF Quiet Zone where the radio astronomy antennas are located.

The area does not allow..
gas engines. (diesel only)
Cell phones.
RF transmitters. (The show showed them hunting down someone using wireless speakers)

They even have to hunt down noisy connections at pole transformers.

I am guessing that electronic ballasts are banned as well.

Where are they going to buy the incandescent bulbs they need?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks