Copper Bypass Drawing for Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Weneedhelp

Reaction score
I prefer the Copper Plumbed design.
But I will keep options open until i see the cost of the 3 1" ball Valves.
Rest of Plumbing will be basically the same if i use Autotrol unit or copper.
Thanks..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bypass

The problem with the factory bypass valve is that it can crack ahead of the valve because it is usually made of plastic. And the rotary brass ones are very unreliable over the long haul.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
In 21 years I've torn out many 3 way manual by pass valves. And I've installed a few thousand factory by pass valves and sold all but a thousand to DIYers in the last 51 months online. The factory by pass is a much better choice all around.

I've only seen a handful of bad factory by pass valves and they've all been the old Autotrol push/pull rod style. With the introduction of the 255 etc. control valves 15 years ago, they beefed up the design (the black plastic controls and BPs).

Three way manual BPs cause dead ends and increase pressure loss and are fairly pricey with today's prices for brass ball valves.

HJ. I've never seen any cracked BPs and can only say the plumbing must have been allowed to stress them or they wouldn't crack unless Autotrol's old bolt on type with the four screws were overtightened. All individual inlet/outlet handle type plastic BPs go on with o-ring sealed nuts.

Weneedhelp

Reaction score
O.K. Sold.
I will use the Bypass (1265) That came with my Autotrol 258/760.
Your plumbing experiences are not to be ignored.
Thanks..
Sey

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bypass

When the plunger breaks on the bypass valve, and I have seen it on modern valves also, that is when you will wish you had the brass bypass. And when you want to turn off all the water to the house, you will also wish you had the three valve bypass. And unless the user is completely ignorant of the purpose for the three valves, it will not cause unwanted bypassing, or water outages.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think you have a typo. That would be a 268/760, there is no 258 Autotrol control.

HJ. Autotrol does not make a brass or SS by pass valve, only Noryl plastic. The only brass push/pull is made by Taras or Tomlinson, I can't recall. The SS is made only by Fleck and used for some of their control valves but not all.

All Autotrol and Clack, and some Fleck plastic BPs are made with individual shut off valves for both the inlet and outlet. All plastic BPs are ball valves.

All of them shut off all water into and past the softener by simply shutting the inlet side of the BP with the outlet in the Service position, or open.

That is much better all around than a 3 way manual by pass plumbed into the plumbing and there is much less pressure loss and absolutely no dead ends. The manual 3 way also costs more at today's prices for copper tees tubing and brass ball valves.

An additional problem with 3 ways is that the number of valves are confusing to the lady of the house and sad to say but more and more non mechanical kinda guys.

The only plastic push/pull rod type plastic BPs I know of being sold today are on the big box store brands; Kenmore, GE, Whirlpool, and the plumbing/pump supplies' North Star and the mortonsalt.com and Ecowater dealers.

Weneedhelp

Reaction score
yes it is a typo. 268/760 is the model.
I will use the Bypass Mentioned series 1265. I have not installed the unit and BB-20 filter because i still need some parts and salt.
Home has a Fire Sprinkler System and Controls are behind a swinging door, I will check with Fire Department and see if I can change Swinging Door so that it swings to opposite side.

Thanks
Sey

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks