Stuck well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a 6 month old well, 6" diameter, 145' deep, drilled into bedrock with maybe 40' of PVC casing which is pretty typical here in the Piedmont of NC. The submersible pump is set about 100' down on 1" 160# PE pipe. There is a torque arrestor installed above it, and I recall it was a bit of a snug fit when the pump was installed. Although everything is working fine, I notice now the pump can only be pulled up about 6' by hand until it reaches an obstruction. I suspect the torque arrestor is hanging up on the rock, and I would like to remove it. Any suggestions on hand methods for pulling the pump? Unfortunately there is no truck access to the well.

I fear this problem will only get worse over time so would like to address it now. But if I risk damage to the well or pump I will leave it for the future.

I never had a torque arrestor installed with a pump before and will never install another if this is typical. Yes a pump slapping around in the hole might not be the greatest thing for longevity but at least it can still be pulled.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Torque arresters in my opinion are a joke.

I am trying to figure out why your lifting a 6 month old pump that is working? Can you explain why your doing this?

bob...

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
I knew someone would ask why lift a good pump ("if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule). I did have a problem with the breaker tripping a couple weeks back but it turned out to be a small nick in the UF cable shorted 2 wires. Before I discovered that I thought the pump was an issue and tried pulling. I helped the pump installer with the installation and it was relatively easy so figured I would pull to inspect.

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you tried to pull it, did you lift the cable with it? Did you push it back down bad rotate 90* and try and repeat?

Maybe ya need help. Or did it go down hard too?

I don' think is getting hung up on the pump wire since I have cable spacers but I will take notice next time I try. Yea when I rotate it pulls up different amounts so maybe I'll have to keep trying that. It wasn't difficult to insert but there was some slight resistance near the end. Hopefully the well is not collapsing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks