working with pex

Users who are viewing this thread

tedn332

Reaction score
When I run pex through floor to kitchen sink, vanity or toilet, what is a neat way to trim out when it enters the cabinet. When coming through a wall I use a 5/8x3/8 comp fitting cut close to the wall on a copper stub-out. Should I do the same in a cabinet and use longer supply lines? Thanks for any advice. Ted

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ideally run copper to below the floor area and then connect with PEX there.

I don't care for the looks and looseness of PEX run into the cabinet.

Construct30

Reaction score
Most PEX brands make copper stub outs. A piece of copper bent at a 90 with the PEX barbs on them. They make stub out straps, a copper clad piece of metal with holes for the copper to pass through. You nail it to the studs and put the copper stub outs into the correct hole and solder them in place. In a remodel, I come up through the floor and use a stand off strap off the back wall of the cabinet. Through the wall is best for the supply and drain to work together correctly for future cabinet removal when at all possible.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The reason I run the copper below the floor is because there have been problems in some areas with rodents chewing through the PEX and causing leaks to the degree that some jurisdictions have banned its use.
By running the copper below the floor, if a rodent does chew a hole in it it will be in an accessible area that won't require ripping walls, etc. to make a repair.

We have a few nice areas with homes, not trailers, that were plumbed with PB and I have repaired a few chew leaks in them.

Construct30

Reaction score
The reason I run the copper below the floor is because there have been problems in some areas with rodents chewing through the PEX and causing leaks to the degree that some jurisdictions have banned its use.
By running the copper below the floor, if a rodent does chew a hole in it it will be in an accessible area that won't require ripping walls, etc. to make a repair.

We have a few nice areas with homes, not trailers, that were plumbed with PB and I have repaired a few chew leaks in them.

What kind of rodent chews through copper? or did you mean to say PEX?

What about the wires? If I had rodents chewing on stuff I think I would make war with the rodents. What about the kids?

tedn332

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Think I'm on the right track now; bring copper thru floor, bracket it to back wall of cabinet.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What kind of rodent chews through copper? or did you mean to say PEX?

What about the wires? If I had rodents chewing on stuff I think I would make war with the rodents. What about the kids?

I recently caught this rodent while he was eating a 10' piece of copper in the back of my truck.

16893.JPG

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If that critter was a baseball player I'm sure there would have been mention of him in the Mitchell Report on Steroid use.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Seriously, have you had a rodent chew a hole in copper?

Seriously the subject of my statements was holes being chewed in PEX and how to prevent it from happening in a wall.

Did you read post 1,2 & 5?

The reason to bring the copper below the floor was so rodents wouldn't chew a hole in it (PEX) inside the wall.

My statements were about the use of PEX and where or where not to run it.

Using copper was to prevent the walls from having to be opened in the case of a rodent chewing through PEX.

If the rodent chewed a hole in the copper why would I have said you didn't need to rip the wall.

Construct30

Reaction score
He said he was running up through the cabinet floor not out the wall. Sorry I was confused. I sure hope those house with rodents are using BX or conduit for wiring or water will be the least of their worries, rats love wire. I actually pulled a fried rat out of a wall once doing an electrical repair when I was younger.

Drop ears in the back of the cabinet when you come up through the floor of the cabinet are a great idea. You could use nipples and angle stops. Thats how I will start doing it in manufactured homes when I replace PB. Good One.
I always thought of them for use in walls and showers, but never thought of using them to secure PEX inside the cabinet. Thanks

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks