Septic/Leach Field question......

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobrobert

Reaction score
Hope this is the correct place for this question, and bear with me if I don’t use the correct terminology:

I have a septic tank and leach field system that is almost 20 years old. Most of that time there has only been two people using it. Nothing has ever been done to the system; it has just worked perfectly all this time. Yesterday there was cause to flush the toilet very often (lots of times actually and of which the details I will spare you), and there also was a cause to run the washer a couple of times. Short story..... the system backed up and let me know that one of my toilet seals was not perfect and I will fix that tomorrow. BUT today the system seems to work fine under normal use for two people. But now I’m concerned about the status of this 20 year old system.

My questions are this:

Is there any "tests, inspections, or procedures" that I can do that would give me some clue on how the system is working, and maybe a little warning that it may be failing?

After almost 20 years can I suspect that the leach field may be plugging up?

Would a septic tank "finally" fill up with solids to the point that it would need to be pumped?

In my Handyman magazine I recently read that you should put a filter on your washer discharge to catch the lint. They stated that “lint†from the washer can shorten the life of a leach field by years. I can’t remember the number of years they stated, but it caught my eye for sure, it was 5 or maybe 10 years, I can’t really remember.

I do have access to the tank by way of a 6 inch PVC and cap. I also can dig up the ends of the tanks where I can pull concrete wedge slabs so I can view the baffles if needed without too much trouble. Maybe 12 inches of cover, no more.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, or information on this concern.

Bob T.

PS> I do have my fingers crossed that this was just a temporary plug type problem and has cleared itself. Could I be that lucky?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First thing...get someone out to pump the tank. They can give you an assessment of its condition when that is done. The tank is probably 15-18 years overdue. If solids have been flushed into the leach field, then you may need to replace that. If you are really lucky, you'll be okay after it is pumped out. 20-years of things going down that don't decompose are sitting in the tank. Luckily, most things are mostly water, but there certainly are solids...lots of them, in your tank that must be pumped out.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
..... the system backed up ... BUT today the system seems to work fine under normal use for two people.

It is very likely your leach field is failing.

Is there any "tests, inspections, or procedures" that I can do that would give me some clue on how the system is working ...

Find and open the distribution box at the output end of the septic tank and run some water either through the overall system or directly into the box. My guess is that the equivilent of a few flushes and some washing will fill your drain field and back up in the distribution box.

Would a septic tank "finally" fill up with solids to the point that it would need to be pumped?

It might have a hard crust on top on the inside that is blocking its output, but even if not, yes, it almost certainly needs a good cleaning.

In my Handyman magazine I recently read that you should put a filter on your washer discharge to catch the lint.

Absolutely.

I do have access to the tank by way of a 6 inch PVC and cap ...

You might be able to poke a stick down in there to see whether you have a crust and/or how thick it might be.

I do have my fingers crossed that this was just a temporary plug type problem and has cleared itself. Could I be that lucky?

Likely not, but a repair might not be as difficult as you might think. Chamber systems are lightweight, inexpensive and better than leach lines, and they can be installed with little more than a hand-and-foot-operated shovel.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Have the tank pumped, like jadnashua said, and see what happpens. Ask the pump company to check the D box and baffles. If it works out and things seem O.K., you need to have it pumped out every 3 years if you want to get the most remaining life out of it.

Bobrobert

Reaction score
Thank you...... Will get started on this stuff. I need to look into this Chamber system you mentioned and start gathering some information, just in case. I didn't even realize that there was anything else other than a leach field.

In "theory" (all things being perfect) shouldn't a septic tank work for ever? I realize it won't, but if the water is leached off, and the bacteria eats the sludge, etc, etc..... OR maybe a better question in real life would be - how often should a septic tank be pumped?

Thanks again for all the helpful information.........Bob

Bobrobert

Reaction score
Thanks folks - got my answer to the "how often to pump" as I was posting the last. Appreciate all the great info..... Bob

Bobrobert

Reaction score
Thanks Redwood........ I glanced at the site and will go back when I have more time, but looks like just what I need, appreciate the info greatly.....Bob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks