Fostapex or comparable tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

bmccabe

Reaction score
Website
www.ferret-properties.com
Here's my situation. I have a multifamily house in a not-so-desirable area. Recently, some of the upstanding citizens of the area decided that the house would be much better off without copper. As a result, I was relieved of all the water supply pipes plus the hydronic heating system network pipes and heating elements. In a couple rooms copper risers for the heating system ran exposed from one floor to another. In the new, revised version of the property I would like to use, instead of copper, as much Fostpex as much as I can. Will the general plumbing code allow Fostapex run exposed between the floors. as copper did previously?

Many thanks.

Construct30

Reaction score
What do you mean between the floors? Most codes require pipes to be protected from damage. You will have to have permits and inspections for a job like that so talk to the local code official first.

Viega fittings and crimps are a nice set up, but you must use their tools and crimps. The fosta pex looks like a good product it is to be used with the viega system. FostaPEX is OK to use with potable water, but wouldn't some other systems be cheaper. Use the fostaPEX for the heating part and say the regular viega pex for the water supplies. They use the same fittings and tools. Be sure to read the manufacturers installation literature first. Especially how to strap correctly.

bmccabe

Reaction score
Website
Thanks

Appreciate your response. I am using Fostapex for the heat only. Potable water is standard Viega Pex with Viega fittings. The issue of exposed pipes running from floor to floor means they travel through bedrooms, etc. on the way from the basement to the respective floors. Now that the original piping is gone is there an issue in exposing the new piping and could it be Fostapex? I think the answer to the second question...could it be Fostapex?...was answered by the protection requirement but what about the exposure matter?

Thanks...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You my want to run the PEX where the old pipe was exposed, and box it in rather than rip walls.

bmccabe

Reaction score
Website
Running and boxing Pex

Is there any kind of protective cover that can be applied over a bare copper pipe or Pex tube that would provide code-compliant protection?

Construct30

Reaction score
Is there any kind of protective cover that can be applied over a bare copper pipe or Pex tube that would provide code-compliant protection?

The cheapest thing would be wood, but they sell covers at electrical supply houses for protecting wires if you could get the right size. You see them on wires coming down poles. They are probably not as cheap as wood boxes. You will have to check with local code officials.

Open walls in a rental house tend to make me think of other code violations though. Why are the walls open, and what about wires and fire walls and such.

DRYWALL?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks