Lose of Heat Through Duct Work

Users who are viewing this thread

River Rat

Reaction score
How can one stop the lose of heat through your heat ducts?

I would like to make my Heat Ducts more effect but would like to know how one can do it?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have one duct running through unheated space, and I have wrapped that line with insulation. I have not insulated any of the others because any heat that radiates from them goes into heated space anyway. If you might have a cool/cold room at the end of the line, be sure its return is not in any way obstructed and/or possibly damper other rooms a little to force more warm air out to the end.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The biggest problem with ducts is leaks. Do NOT use fabric duct tape; it will dry out and leak, plus leave a residue. They make a metal self-stick tape that works quite well for this. It has a paper release on the back so it unrolls off the roll well.

The ducts can be insulated with wrap or solid insulation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks