Installing a Complex Balustrade System.

Users who are viewing this thread

mikeangelini

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to the forum,, and I have my first question. I am an intermediate handyman type. I have done a fair amount of decent work for myself and family and friends. (Carpentry, plumbing, ceramic tile, framing, electrical, concrete, etc.) And I have a large amout of mid to higher end tools.

A friend of mine asked me to install a new handrail and ballisters to a 3 story Philadelphia home. It has 3 - 180 degree turns and a horizontal run in 2 places. Some of the ballisters would need to be anchored either to the side of a knee wall that I would have to attach to the stringer, or directly on top. (5/4?) Up a flight the stringers are exposed and neatly carpeted. So the ballister would have to mount through the carpet and into the tread. The carpet is new and cannot be removed without destrustion due to hunderds of staples.

I have never installed any type of balustrade. This seems like a very precise job, and I worry that it may be too advanced for me. Lining up the handrail directly over the placement of the ballisters. Getting the handrail attached to the newels so that everything works correctly spooks me a bit. I had a guy out from L.J. Smith stair systems. And he acted like it was a complex job.

What do you guys think? I am generally able to do a very nice looking job my first time trying something, but for this one, I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Mike Angelini~

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that I would pass on this job...too many potential liabilities. there are specific codes about spacing, heights, and not knowing how the stairs and floor is built, finding adequate anchors to make it strong enough could be problematic, especially with the contstraints about leaving the carpeting intact. Nobody likes a wobbly railing, and if it fails, the liability could be devastating. the spacing has to do with preventing a child from getting their head caught and strangling, or slipping under the thing if it isn't the proper sizing and location.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I can't think of a single way to do it through the carpet, and get an acceptable result.

And it's a dumb idea - what happens when the carpet's replaced?

I would pass on this one.

Bosun

Reaction score
Wrong Order.

The ballisters are usually fixed before the carpet. Often they do a rolled edge and the ballisters sit on a finished wood floor area that is only a few inches wide. Carpet replacement over time will be a nightmare.

consider doing a foot on the rail, so the ballisters are supported by the foot. This will avoid messing with the carpet except at the corners or terminations--which may be walls. If you need to put in a newell post or similar you need to remove part of the carpet. Carpet installer and carpenter both dropped the ball here...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks