K-9132 Drain Assembly Install Question

Users who are viewing this thread

mccutch2

Reaction score
The Kohler K-9132 literature mentions sliding the drain pipe at least 1.25" into the bottom of the 9132 assembly - then, as I will do, slipping the internal gasket (coated with soapy solution) over the pipe. In this case, I'll be using ABS pipe.

Is this then sealed with clear silicone from above (looking down into the assembly/gasket/pipe), or is there another method? I have not installed one of these before and am looking for a seal that will not leak (obviously!)

Placing this into a K-1668 shower unit. I understand that the gap between must be sealed w/ silicone. Thank you for any advice!

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Shower drain

To fully seat the gasket into the drain assembly around the pipe is all that is required to form a seal. It is nice to fill any gap with silicone to help seal and also to prevent it from holding water, hair, and soap scum for bacteria and mold to thrive in. However, for a better sealing shower drain IMO, I prefer to use this type of drain that has a packing nut that tightens down on top of the gasket compressing it around the pipe and into the drain assembly.

k-9152.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mccutch2

Reaction score
Clayton - thank you for the reply. What name brand is the drain assembly that you included in the link you posted that has the packing nut compressing from above?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks